report for Rocky Point-Long Island 10/26/2013

marksman

Hi folks,

This is Daniel from long island. This morning I went into the woods with my bow...Right, first hunt ever B) . I lived in Suffolk county. So this morning I first went to Otis Pike, and met two DEC patrolling officers, they told me the topping path is too rough for my sedan. So I did not enter that paved road. They told me to go Rocky Point if I am after deers. After I got Rocky Point, most of the hunting spots were reserved for youth pheasant hunting, which lasts two days (Oct.26-27).

I parked at spot 43 on Whiskey road and start stalking hunt on the south side of  Whiskey road. Sooner enough, I found that the small pine trees and bushes were so dense at the south side that I cannot move any deeper. So I crossed  Whiskey road, and start scouting on the north side of the road. (Question: since I am a rookie, I am not sure whether each numbered spot on the DEC public hunting region has a designated boundary. Is it legal and OK for me to walk to regions that are far from my own parking spot and are closer to other spots for stalking hunt?) Never mind, this is my first time hunting. I pretty much marched all over the north area of  Whiskey road. Believe or not, I ran into deers 3 times!! And all happened between 12:00-2:00 PM. Unfortunately, two of them ran away even before I can have a clear look on them. They have damn good hearing. The only one I have seen was not facing my direction, it also ran away at my noise. I saw his butt and whitetail. 

I end up with no actual good opportunity for a shoot. I left the woods around 2:30pm, hungry... BTW, there are lots of ticks. One tick even appear on my iphone screen when I was browsing the map...WTF...

On my way home, I drove south along rocky point road, and found a large area of reed at the intersection of Whiskey road and rocky point road near hunting spot 3 & 33A. So I have a question. Does deer usually prefer staying in the bushes than in the heavy reeds? Does anyone ever found deer deep inside area of reeds? Is reeds good place for stalking hunt?

More enough, glad to be here sharing my fun in the woods with you all. Wish everyone has a great season!

The number spots are reserved for that area. If you park at #43, you can only hunt there. They have maps on dec website showing locations.

Dec can ticket you for doing that if they catch you coming from another area back to your car.

Whatever side the # sign is on is the area to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks for the answer. But I guess adjacent hunting spots are hard to judge. Because they don't have clear segmentations for each spot on the map given by DEC website. Guess what we should do is try to stick close to your original parking spot, do not go too far.

The number spots are reserved for that area. If you park at #43, you can only hunt there. They have maps on dec website showing locations.

Dec can ticket you for doing that if they catch you coming from another area back to your car.
Whatever side the # sign is on is the area to hunt.

You cannot cross the road, however you do not need to stay at one spot you can park in 14 and walk all the way north to 9 if you feel inclined, I believe the rules are you stay in your area till the first hour after sunrise

I'm not sure that is accurate. I spoke with DEC last year because someone had gone in 2 hours before sunrise and when I showed up at the spot I was going to hunt there was already a car in the parking spot.

I had to drive to another spot and hunt there. On my way out the 2 guys who parked in the spot I was going to use were hunting on the otherside of the road. It's supposed to control the amount of hunters in a specific area. If you were Allowed to hike to a different #spot, what is the person who parks at spot 9 do? Now there are 2 hunters there and spot 14 cannot be hunted because there is already a car there.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO STAY IN YOUR NUMBERED AREA, what do you think the guys hunting rabbits/pheasant with dogs do? walk around in circles?

you need to only stay in your area till 1hr after sunrise, you are then permitted to walk anywhere you want (as long as you do not cross the road), parking spots are intended to keep hunters spread out somewhat 

what is not permitted but happens during shotgun and is annoying is guys all pile in a truck and get dropped off on the side of the road to conduct a drive

Thank you Droptine and Danny. I think the best way is to ask DEC, if I do, I will update here.

I notice that while in Rocky point there is not much water bodies, the north western part of Otis pike has lots of small lakes and ponds, which may attract more animals, and I think that's why DEC has more control on daily permit requirement on those spots. Does anyone have success in Those parts of Otis Pike before?

hi danny  i know spot 3 very well in rocky point. i've hunted that spot for years. its a great spot to see deer and have chances at harvesting one. the trail system is clearly marked, there are open fields in which the deer feed and good places to set up a ground blind or climb a tree. it's really good when the small game hunters are in the woods walking their dogs and hunting.they move deer at all times of the day. good luck and stay safe.

• 3 months later...

To summary this post, DEC ridge check station staffs said you should stay at your spot area till 8:30AM, after which you could move around to other spot areas as long as you do not intrude other hunters too much. And stay on the same side of the road with your reserved spot.

Edited by marksman