Climbers

I had a climbing tree stand about 8 or 10 years ago and wasn't to comfortable using it so it got put up in a tree and used like a hang on.

I find myself thinking about purchasing another more and more frequently now adays.

Anyone have success using one? It kind of seems like a pain having to find a perfect tree to fit the bill but I like the idea of being more mobile I guess.

My thoughts would be to pick a few spots while scouting and find 3 or 4 different trees at each spot to suit different wind directions?

Any feedback on others experiences would be appreciated.

I have 3 climbers each are different but I do the same thing pick out a few trees. I like climbers cause I may see deer a lil far off and then I can move to that area the next day. As far as my fav climber I like sitting facing the tree idk y just my preference also I hae one that does not have a front to it I don't like that one lol

My buddy and myself hunt a property by my house that we got permission to hunt on 3 weeks into the season. It's in niagara county and has a ton of deer on it but we didn't get to scout it. Well we went out Monday and he had a deer cross the path about 45 yards to his left. So on Tuesday he moved a few trees over and had bye deer cross at 25. He missed but still with a hang on he wouldn't have been able to do that. This weekend I'll probably be using a climber and I'll be relatively close to my latter stand in the southern tier depending on the wind. I keep having the same deer cross in front of me just outside my comfort zone so I'll be taking down my climber.

I try for at least 15 but it depends on the tree some trees you can only maybe get 8-10. Nice thing about a climber is if you have some idea of the deer pattern you can situate your self so the winds in your favor. If you can find a tree that has brush around you that will help but wind is a key factor

I have been bow hunting for 18 years now and have used climbers for the last 16.  I started out with a Summit and used it for years.  About 2001, I switched to a Lone Wolf (hand) climber.  I used that for about 8 years and then I purchased a Lone Wolf sit-n-climb.  I like this one the best as I like the sense of security I have with the rail in front on me.  The stand weighs about 17 pounds. 

The stand is so quiet going up or down that on numerous occasions I have only been half way up the tree with my bow still on the ground and have deer within 20 yards of my tree.

I have never once had the stand slip on a tree and I feel extremely safe with it.

I usually go up about 20 feet and almost never have been busted by a deer seeing or smelling me.

I do like to pick trees if I can that are either multiple trunked or with two or trees threes clumped together. 

Edited by azhuntress

• 3 weeks later...

Lone Wolf Alpha sit and climb.

I bought one back in 2003 and just bought the newer wider seat section. I'm not a big guy but the extra room makes for a comfortable all day sit plus it's easier to turn your body to look behind you rather than leaning over and peeking around a tree trunk. I also got the longer traction belts. The trees I use are larger in diameter now and I was right at the limit. Packing it up for transport can be a little tricky. Get a set of quick detachable LC2 GI surplus straps for it. $20 I attach a medium ALICE pack to it for my extra clothes and equipment. I also attached a quiver bracket to the right side of the platform. Why bowhunters insist on shooting with a quiver hanging on their bow I'll never know. I shot competitive archery for many years and was the PA State champion in 1983.

DanceswithSkunks

Must be champions use Lone Wolf sit n climbs! Congrats on your PA championship! I also

have won the PA Championship once or twice plus the NY State once. I also have won

the I.B.O. National Triple Crown twice in the last five years. It was quite an

accomplishment, I thought.

I'm like you and don't have a quiver attached to my bow and haven't for years.

I actually use a hand warmer muff (that would normally attach around your stomach) and

use it as a quiver holder. I safety pin the bottom and then have my 3 arrows in a

quiver that I put inside of the hand warmer. I then hang it off the tree along with my backpack, rattling antlers and binos using a multi hook strap.

I had an eye injury in 1987 and required glasses. After that my ability to shoot competitive was severely impaired. It got to the point where I'd drop 2 shots out of the 10 ring and pack the bow up and go home. I spent a lot of time on the local 3D courses. At one shoot I was having a very good day and there was a novelty shoot to win Tavern Hams. $5 for 3 shots at a 3D Elk at about 70 yards. It had a blaze orange 2" sticker on it's chest. I hit it first shot and won. I told the guy double or nothing and laied the 2nd arrow up against the 1st. I looked at him and said triple or nothing. He said OK wise guy. I took a long moment visualized the shot and drew back slow and steady. On the release I turned put my release in my pocket looked at the guy and said I'll need some help loading those hams in the truck. On the follow through I closed my eyes and could hear the arrow hit the other 2. It blew off a nock and a fletch. $5 2 arrows ruined and 60 pounds of Tavern ham.