Got new knives yesterday

blackradio

Do tell me.....and, what's your point?

I thought it was fairly clear, I guess not...     You're OPINION is that it's easy to manually sharpen knives so therefore someone would have to be an idiot to be unable to do it.  Wrong.   It may be easy for you but everyone has different talents and capabilities.

You completely misinterpret what I said.  Knife sharpening is a skill...one that can be learned, with practice.  One who cannot do it is NOT an idiot....never said that.   But, someone who cannot do it today, may be able to do it very well in the future with sufficient practice.

Actualy the best kitchen knives are made in Japan, they have been making the best cuttlery for centuries.

I use  Dexter brand knives for everything, not that expensive amd stay sharp for a long time,other the the ones I have made myself 50 years ago and are still cutting great.. 

There are some very good Japanese knives...German, too, but I still prefer knives made in the USA. If I had to do all my butchering/processing with Old Hickory knives...cheap though they may be...I'd be happy and do a good job!

Steve....Sorry about the "easily learned" being misleading. I should have said "can" be learned with sufficient practice. And, even at that, some may choose to have someone else sharpen their knives or use a sharpening machine like Chef's Choice. (My neighbor bought one...we have yet to figure out how to use it! Maybe we are idiots!) My brother can sharpen a chainsaw chain better than anyone I know. He has tried to show me how...I choose to have mine done at Ace Hardware. (Yes....he called me an idiot!)

There are some very good Japanese knives...German, too, but I still prefer knives made in the USA. If I had to do all my butchering/processing with Old Hickory knives...cheap though they may be...I'd be happy and do a good job!

Steve....Sorry about the "easily learned" being misleading. I should have said "can" be learned with sufficient practice. And, even at that, some may choose to have someone else sharpen their knives or use a sharpening machine like Chef's Choice. (My neighbor bought one...we have yet to figure out how to use it! Maybe we are idiots!) My brother can sharpen a chainsaw chain better than anyone I know. He has tried to show me how...I choose to have mine done at Ace Hardware. (Yes....he called me an idiot!)

No sweat - just tripped my trigger... I said "may be easy for him..."  ;-)  Seriously, my Dad was VERY good at sharpening as was a friend of mine.  I REALLY wanted to be able to hone a knife to a fine edge with stones but after hours and hours of practice I just gave up. I'd still like to be able to but I'd wear both the stones and blades out first. ;(