Woodjr55 2013 predator season

Woodjr55

Decide to start a journal because I plan on hunting a lot of predators this winter and didn't want a new thread every time.

I've been out twice now on solely predator hunts the first one I made a thread for

My second hunt I went out with my buddy who seen 4 coyotes multiple times during deer season. He has seen a couple black ones and a big white dog.

We went out on Sunday morning. It was a farm close by I'm erie county. Got there at 6 am got ready and headed out to the back field. We had to cross the field behind the house and then thru a small patch of woods and we were in the field where he was seeing the dogs. On the way out we were scanning the fields and saw eyes off to the left at about 120 yards. I knew it was a dog of some sorts but couldn't make out if it was a fox or coyote. ( I need a better light) since I couldn't tell what it was we decided to move on to the other field. We got set up my buddy had his muzzleloader I had my .243 he was in his stand I was behind him on the ground. Has a decoy set up in the middle of the field and my flextone caller behind it ( had to move the caller closer because the remote wouldn't reach) sat for about a half hour till we had better light. Called for about an hour on and off but had no success. I know that your only suppose to make short sits but the property was small so we just stayed put. So far this season I have been out twice and seen a predator both times but haven't got a shot yet. So good start so far

Stick with it. You'll connect.

Why didn't you try to lip squeak the critter in???

There's no set rule on how long to stay on stand. Sometimes they come in slow so you might not see any til the 1 hour mark. Just don't over-call and remember, they won't respond unless they hear your call. You never know, they might not be into hearing range until your last call sequence.