Female yote meets tire

Incam

Does anyone know the real story on how these coyotes got here? I have heard alot of stories. I'm sure you have too. I have heard anything from they just naturally increased in #s because they are prolific reproducers to the insurance companies paid to have them brought into our state through lobbying with our powers to be to reduce the deer herd. Does anyone know the real story? Unfortunately they are here to stay. I had one come in to me the other day while using a fawn bleat.

Not sure if this is the "real" story but the most likely is that they migrated east across the Mississippi and once they got a population established on this side it was all down hill from there. The ones in western ny and the southern tier came through ohio and pa, while the ones up north, more than likely migrated on the north side of the lakes and came down through the adks.  Along the way they mated with wolves (eastern wolves not gray wolves) and sled dogs (northern migrants only).  This also does give stock to the notion that eastern yotes are bigger because, well....they are lol.  While the coyotes from western ny have "some" domesticated dog in thier blood, there is not the presences of wolf dna.  The coyotes found in cny and north do show "up to" 30% of wolf blood in them.  This makes the case for two migration paths rather than being stocked here by the insurrance companies lol. Like I said not sure if its the real story but the most likely one anyways....lol

I had a couple links to stick in here where I had read all this info previously but can't find it I'm gonna do some searching and see if I can find the journal article that I read.  They were from the Northeast Naturalist I believe. 

CNY

• 3 weeks later...

check with your DEC that the story. They intriduced them to control the population of turkeys. Thats what I read after being told about it they where intriduced to NY some years ago can't remember the exact year. but read up on it.

I belive extend the seasons or the bag limit for turkey and for cayotes whare i live in texas thay are used for live target practise