Fatal shot or just a wound?

Chrishunter

Hey guys, new to the site here but heard lots about it. I have been rifle hunting for the last 20 years and bowhunting the last 9. I am not ashamed to say that I have missed my share of bucks through the years. (clean misses). With that, I have also had much success. Like most average working hunters I dont get to go as much as I would like do to having small kids at home, but it is a true passion of mine.  I take my hunting very seriously and hunt with my father who I admire in his hunting skills.  So let me get to the point and share a quick hunt that I went on last friday.  I had a Beautiful wide 10 point come into my stand at 18 yards at first light.  Hands down, this is the biggest buck I have ever seen in the woods since I started hunting when I was twelve. To make a long story short, I shot, felt comfortable about the shot, and waited in my stand for and hour when I walked over to where I had shot, NO BLOOD.  But I knew I hit him, and thought that I hit him well.  I was able to locate very small drops of blood approximately 25 yards from where the buck was standing. The blood trail went for 50-60 yards and vanished. The blood was very small drops and diminished as I continued to track.  I tracked until  dark. I returned the next day with my father and we attempted to search every inch of the woods in that area as best as we could with no results from first light until dark.  I know this has happened to many hunters before. Just wanted to share this story with others to get some feedback.  Definitely a tough pill to swallow. I would have rather had a clean miss then have the thought that I just fatally wounded a trophy buck that is never to be found. I do know that I made every effort to find that deer. thanks

Well you sure will get alot of help here. This is disappointing I'm sure. Good for you that you took the time to look for the deer. Did you find the arrow? This usually will tell you where you hit the deer. I shot a deer in the liver one year and the arrow was covered in deep purple looking blood. You would of thought the deer was dead 25 feet from the arrow, no way. Very spotty blood trail and then nothing. He bled internally and I found him 7-8 hrs later. Maybe your shot was a bit high? We have shot deer in gun season that arrows have passed through high in the back. Hope this helps, I feel bad for you. Maybe you see him at gun season!

We never recovered the arrow from my shot which we were looking for to help us see if I made a good shot.  From the very weak blood trail that I had, i started to believe that I didnt make a good shot. Whats actually telling me that it was a bad shot is the fact that the blood trail didnt start till about 25 yards from where I shot him, and the blood was very small drips that were a couple of feet apart. Definitely an experience to be had. And yes, I will be stopping at gander mtn friday afternoon on my way up for some of that spray. haha