Trappers, mute swans effect muskrats

Dove Huntress

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Hookhunter20
      Hey everyone, 
       I will be getting my trapping license this fall and obviously I'm about as green as they come. I have property in upstate NY, that has an abundance of predators. I don't want to get into trapping for the money as I know fur price are down these days, but a little money earned and helping my deer, turkey, rabbit, grouse and hopefully reintroduced pheasant population is a win enough for me. I have seen a fisher every time I have scouted and hunted this piece of land. My cousin who lives about five minutes down the road from my property lost about 15 of his "prized show chickens" to a fisher in one night (trail cam confirmed). I have gotten a few coyote and fox pictures as well but have not seen them in person just yet. Primarily my target animal to remove by trapping is the fisher, I like and don't mind putting some hours into fox and coyote hunting with the gun but wouldn't mind grabbing a few of them in a trap as well. Any advice on trap sizes, most reliable beginner priced friendly brands and catching foxes, coyotes, bobcats, racoons, and the fisher would be appriciated!
    • By mike rossi
      Actually, the past year some of the 11 states have modified Sunday bans. However, we believe in Sunday hunting for all, not just bow hunters and/or private land owners.

In addition to our dove effort in NY, we also are engaged in reforming Sunday, public land, firearm hunting bans.

We ask persons who buy New Jersey non-resident as well as resident hunting licenses to sign our petition. If you are a non resident, include in the comments that you buy a NJ non-resident hunting licence. 

And, as always, inform others in your personal network about this petition and the website NJ Sunday Hunting For All.

Here is the link to this petition: 

http://newjerseysundayhuntingforall.weebly.com/sign-the-petition-to-allow-sunday-firearm-hunting.html

• By mike rossi
      During the most radical changes in New York for deer management, which were proposed in 2015...

Read the complete article: http://nydovehunting.weebly.com/evaluating-the-new-york-hunting-communitys-response.html
    • By mike rossi
      Last year the DEC opened its revised mute swan plan for public comment. Little or none of the actions set forth in this plan required legislative approval.

The public comment period was open for 45 days and the DEC received over 8,000 comments, mostly from animal rights advocates. NY Dove Hunting submitted comment, wrote the Legislature, the DEC, and the Governor. 

Before the public comment period was completed, Senator Avella and Assemblyman Cybrowitz put pressure on the DEC by introducing legislation which would prevent the DEC from implementing its mute swan strategies. Defying all common sense, this bill passed with only 25 legislators voting against it - all from the assembly; which means the entire  republican majority senate also voted anti DEC.

NY Dove Hunting than created a petition which was signed by about 350 persons. We submitted the petition to the governor, along with video evidence of the impacts of mute swans. In December 2015, Governor Cuomo did indeed VETO the legislation.

However Avella and Cybrowitz were not willing to take no for an answer. They reintroduced the bill, with minor modifications (* see below), and it passed again. We are in the process of verifying the vote, to determine how many legislators changed their vote the second time around. We believe (ONE) senator (may) have voted against the bill the second time.Check our websites at a latter date for this information.

The second bill was also VETOED by Cuomo earlier this week. Cuomo's veto message for the second bill was: "The circumstances that necessitated my disapproval have not changed".  

(*) 1. Prioritize non-lethal methods when dealing with mute swans 2. DEC must hold a MINIMUM of two public hearings before taking any action.

• By mike rossi
      http://thebirdhuntingsociety.weebly.com/ring-necked-pheasant-ndash-invasive-species-or-valuable-gamebird.html