Westchester Private Land Requirements

Dooley

I recently moved from NYC to Northern Westchester (Lewisboro) and am curious to know what the hunting regulations are for hunting private property?  Neither DEC nor Town Clerk can give me a definitive answer.  I know I must bow hunt deer/doe, but I'm trying to determine the property size/house distance one must be to legally shoot?  I'm on 3.5 acres surrounded by a lot of undeveloped land. Before I even entratain the idea of hunting my property, I want to educate myself on the laws and obtain permission from surrounding landowners to retrieve a carcass.  Any insight would help.

Thank you in advance.

You have to be at least 150 feet away from any dwelling that can occupy people. If you are within 150 of such a place, you need permission from the owner to shoot near his/her property. Preferably a signed note.

Even if you are 150 feet from any dwelling, while not legally required, you still have to take into consideration the deer will run and expire on someone else's property and then you will need permission from that neighbor to retrieve the deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...