Adirondacks backcountry deer questions

buckchaser

Hi all.  A Canadian hunter here who is planning my first Adirondack deer hunt for next season.  I have spent extensive time in the Adirondacks hiking, climbing, and skiing - but never hunting.  I'm keen to experience a classic Adirondack backcountry deer hunt.  I'm used to being in remote areas and comfortable in such situations.  Here in Ontario I hunt big woods areas with low deer populations so I am quite used to hunting long days with little reward.

I do have questions that I hope forum members here can shed light on.

1)  Should I plan to hit the peak of the rut or wait until late November/early December when snow will make deciphering deer movement much easier?

2)  How much hunting pressure should I expect to see in the various wilderness areas around Tupper Lake, Saranac Lake, Keene Valley, etc.?  I'm happy to hike long distances through tough terrain if it means not seeing many hunters and hunting unpressured deer.  Can I escape pressure by hiking in from a trailhead daily or will I need to backpack into the backcountry to do so?  Either option is fine for me, even in late season - I have good gear.

3)  Do you focus on the lower elevations (river valleys, wetlands)?  I have also heard that deer (especially the larger bucks) stay at surprisingly high elevations (from DEC biologist) until snows force them down.  A lot of the terrain I have hiked in the Adirondacks seems far too steep for deer to choose to stay in, but perhaps they do?

Anything else I should be aware of?  Any and all feedback appreciated.

1. I like late November best because the rut is still on and snow is more likely... tracking is the best way to consistently kill ADK bucks.

2. If you get back in a ways you will probably have the woods to yourself

3 You won't find deer as high up once the snow flies and the rutting starts... early season the bucks stay high on the mountains