Question about regulations

jrm

I used to know the answer to this question. After glancing at the DEC website, a quote caught my attention. After reading it, I am no so sure what the rule is as the statement can be read different ways. (Why can't they simply write in plain english?).

From DEC:

You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons - you may not possess a rifle larger than .22 caliber rimfire afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer season. Centerfire rifles smaller than .22 caliber are permitted.

I would think this means that you can't use rifles during deer season in counties where rifles are not permitted during deer season (exceptions for .22 and smaller rimfire, under .22 centerfire). A comma after "including furbearers" or placing those words in parenthesis would, IMO, make the statement clearer. As it is, this could be read that all rifles larger than .22 rimfire are not permitted anywhere during deer season (which also includes counties where rifles are prohibited for deer).

Maybe what is throwing me (aside from the grammar) is that I never thought about hunting furbearers in non-rifle counties. Does this mean that rifles are permitted in those counties when hunting furbearers outside of deer season?