Cerakote-Duracoat Type Finishes

About 15 years ago I had my little Savage model 24 22/410 OU Barrels done with a black Duracoat finish by Gander Mountain. The Savage is one of my favorite small game guns and I take it for a stroll frequently. I have become very appreciative of that Duracoat finish it now wears, no chipping, peeling or fading so far, it still looks brand new. These new Cerakote-Duracoat Hi-Tech type finishes have it all over the traditional blue finish. They actually protect the metal making it pretty much weather and corrosion resistant unlike a blue finish that can and will rust. They can come in just about any color and look one can want from the traditional black which looks like high polish or matt blue to camo and some pretty crazy colors if that is what one prefers.

I have since purchased some other firearms with that type of finish and am totally sold on it, very good stuff.

Al

• Like 1

Feels like forever ago sometime around the early 1990's I brought my Browning Bar to a gunsmith to be reblued and have a synthetic stock put on to replace the wooden gloss finish stock I tend to hold that gun while still hunting right where the forearm meets the steel receiver and  was wearing out the bluing on that spot.. He talked me into a parkerized matt finish instead of bluing . I have never regretted it. I bought this gun in 1985 new. So in 8 years or so the bluing was almost worn out down to the metal .  I hunted with that gun the same way until 2018. Roughly 25+ years since it was parkerized. Still looks new minus a couple surface buff marks from branches that never made it through the finish. Im not a fan of the camo colored barrels . I will stay with matt finish for barrels and receivers.  But I do like some synthetic camo stocks.

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 1