Should've, Would've, Could've

accman

This weekend was typical of my experiences trying to get my deer with a bow spaning 9 years.  Hunted saturday morning with my son, cool enough temps, but had to leave early for a funeral.  He can see my stand from his and I called him when I left, around 8:45.  Didn't see anything in the morning, but of course when I get home, I get two texts from him saying I had a huge, wide 4 pt, old deer, around my stand at 9:15, and at 9:45, a nice 7 pt was hagging around my ladder.  He has the go-pro on his bow to prove it, and I KNEW it was going to happen.

Then, Sunday a.m., had some activity rutting in the distance, could see three or four does being chased by a small 4 pter (saw that one earlier), spike, and another huge deer I couldn't make out.  Then, he showed up on the hill in front of me, some 60 yards away, a hugh, really wide, 8 pt, not overly tall tines, just big and old.  He walked down to about 45 yds, but the wall, needed him to cross it or just come closer and he just sniffed the air, heard the doe behind him and walked off toward her again and they were gone.  My son called and asked if I had a shot and I told him I did, but it was 45 yards.  He laughed and said, "Figures".  I've been practicing at work at 20,25,30,35, & 40, even try the 45, 50, & 55, but from 40 on up, the accuracy just isn't there.  Oh, I'll hit the deer, but it's not pie plate material. My son on the other hand will put em in a softball size up to 50 (lil %*@&), but he knows my limits.  The time will come and when it does, it'll be fun, just wish it'd happen sooner than later).  Will hunt Friday morning again, then head up to hunting camp for the rifle opener.  Would be nice to have that 8 strapped to the trunk for a little braggin rights.

• Like 1

No,  I was going to wait for it to get to my 30/35 yd mark.  I'm not going to take a chance and wound the buck.  Just wait for a clear shot and since they're rutting, he'll get stupid again and come my way.  Got one more chance at him on Friday, then head to rifle zone, and may take off during the week and hunt for him again.