Skunked last two duck hunts

Al Bundy

Went out two mornings the last week and didnt get a shot.  Nothing but seagulls and an occassional crow flying by. A pair came roaring by with the wind at their backs, but out of range. My lab kept looking at the seagulls in the sky and I told her I was trying, we couldnt shoot those. If she could talk, I have a feeling she would have said "Shoot the damn things.."

My lab is doing fairly well, but she is like a child. She was ok at first, all excited but then she started squriming around, eating sticks. She got bored as I didnt shoot anything.  Threw a stick for her when I picked up the decoys and she was happy.

I am thinking of building a blind so she can have a spot to futz around in. That should work.

post-4186-0-37558800-1415899330_thumb.jp

Hunting Cayuga/Owasco, along the shore line. I wish I had a nice swamp to hunt in, but dont. They do fly the shore, but not the last few times.  Most times I see them 4-5 miles further down from me.  Seems they gotta fly by where I am also. I am actually thinking of sitting for ducks opening morning gun season. 

Actually, the post above I should add I did see two large flocks of ducks. Flying high and down the middle of the lake. Looked like they were heading for corn and not for a sit along the shore. I kind of dont really count that.

I am still getting my setup and dog dialed in.  I am not used to hunting over her yet as most ducks I shot were in a swamp setting, or jump shooting the local creeks.

A good addendum to this story when I threw the stick out, it was rotten or something and broke in two. I didnt see it break and saw her pick up the stick and keep swimming. She went out and grabbed the other piece and attempted to bring it in. She dropped it and knew she dropped it as next stick throw she swam got the one piece and then swam out of the way and grabbed the other piece. Does that count as a double?? She is getting there...

Anyways.. would love to link up with other duck/goose hunters.  Where you hunt monkey man?

We've really seemed to lack the mallards this year in comparison to years past. Geese is a different story though, we've had great goose hunts ever sense September. I am in Saratoga by the way. I just got my hands on a nice large pontoon and begain the process of making a duck boat out of it, but it will be some work and certainly won't be ready until next fall. Also I have a 12 week old black lab at home so that is something else to look forward too come next hunting seaon.

Even though it's been a slow year for ducks around here I did shoot my first duck band this year. Beautiful male woodie in a swamp I hunt around home.

Nice! Nothing like those woodies.  Never did shoot a duck with a band yet. Shot two canadas though with leg bands a bunch of years ago.  The one I recall was 19 years old.  I found that amazing. I didnt think they lived anywhere near that long.

I have seen a pile of ducks: mallards, some blacks. Just a ways up from me is all. Its private land though so I take what I can get where I can go.

The canadas seem to have mostly disappeared by me anyways. Many early on and now I dont see many flying. Some yes, but much less than a month or so ago. 

Im thinking now sit Sunday morning for ducks. Not sure yet. Hopefully I shoot a monster buck Sat morning. Then I wont feel guilty duck hunting..

good luck to all this weekend.

also .. when was it banded? And I need to correct mine. It was banded 19 years before. Not 19 years old.

Edited by Dan.NY

The woodie was only banded a year ago and it was in a town west of Syracuse, I forgot the name. I have 8 canadian bands so far and the furthest away was banded in central Canada, but I don't believe I have any birds that were more than 3 years old so thats amazing that you came across such an old goose. He needs a special spot on your lanyard.