first year out on my own - south shore central LI

Walrus

started hunting waterfowl last year. only got out twice, out east with some guys i know

i did my hw and got my dec managed land access permits, timber point is closest to home (< 5min) so I'm most interested about that spot, as i can head out on my own if i'm not able to tag along with others further east

i've tried to do as much research as i can on the area and, in the little bit i could find, it seemed like the TP area has (was?) been ruined by guys out there just skybusting and trashing the place. i have a kayak and a layout blind so i can either hoof it through the wetlands or paddle out to nicoll island towards the mouth of the Connetquot River. is there an advantage to either spot? does this spot get overcrowded? is it a spot the birds consistently head to?

any and all info would be tremendously appreciated for a new guy who's trying to learn and most importantly do things the right way.

I hunt timber poiny offtin I too am 5 minets from there  you will get mostly bufelheads there now 

once in a while you might get a mallared thats about it geese are rear also 

years back it was a good place to hunt had lots of duck and a mess of geese now its runnied it

• 5 weeks later...

I have been hunting Timber Point the last 3 years and before that 25 years ago. Its not what it use to be but what is? Its nice that its close to home but like Pappa said mostly buffle, mergansers and an occasional black and mallard. I don't have to take any ducks to have a great day. If you would like I would be more than happy to show you around the area. Post a response and we can figure something out.Good luck.

To really appreciated L.I. duck hunting you would be well advised to pair up with someone who has a duckboat / duck hunting gear and explore the public marshes. Going with someone greatly shortens the learning curve regarding tides,winds,and places birds like to frequent. Its all public, free, and alot less crowded than the DEC lands..Although weekends in good areas will see heavy shooting.. if you can sneak out during the week most times youll have a island all to yourself.