What type of decoys for snow geese?

Al Bundy

I have not decoyed snows before and am thinking that is the way to go this spring. I have a few fields that I should be able to goose hunt on. One was planted winter wheat two years ago and the snows went into it. This year its corn and I am thinking if it ever gets picked to set up there in the spring. But.. what decoys work, what dont, what to get really without breaking the bank??

What does everyone on here use?

Numbers is the name of the game. Here in eastern NY we get lucky every year and get a few straggler snows that are mixed in with the canadians early, but once spring comes around and the real large flocks of snows hit its a totaly different situation. In my experience it's nearly imposible to get 400 (or more)  snows to decoy into a 50 bird spread. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it just seems like a real difficult thing to accomplish. So the only way to get the numbers and not break the bank would be to go with wind socks or cheap silos. The more the marrier.

With all that said, if the birds are in the area, I can't say it'd be a waste of time to hunt over a small spread and bank on stragglers and small group. After all a bad day in the field is better than a good day doing pretty much anything else. The biggest thing in my opinion would be to hunt where the birds want to be. That could really make or break how successful you are, large spread or not.

This is something I've wanted to try for a long time now I just need to stop spending every penny I have on canadian decoys, I have a slight addiction when it comes to those suckers.

Good luck and let me know when you start seeing the birds around!