Westchester zone 3S

the blur

My friend owns 2 acres in Westchester. Zone 3S, bow only.

His house & front yard occupies 1 acre, and the back acre is heavily wooded, and infested with "giant rats". (so he calls them; I tell him they taste good).

He chases them away all year long with by throwing tennis balls out his window.

He wants me to hunt his property.  I'm not a bow hunter, but next year with the new cross bow law, I can get into it.

Here is the problem:  1 acre, plenty of deer.  If that deer runs more than a few hundred feet with a arrow sticking out it's side, It's off his property, and onto the neighbors,  possible across a road or 2, or 3 neighbors down, laying dead at someones back door.  This is a residential area, & I would need to drop this deer right in it tracks, period ended.

Is this possible with a cross bow ?

The hunting program is controlled by the local police dept, and they issue permits; and they monitor the program because all the anti hunters out there don't like knocking off a bambi or 2,  they want the deer to have a birth control shot instead.  So there is no room for error.

It must happen correctly, and the deer must drop like it's hit with a .30-06

Any advice besides practicing with a crossbow for weeks.

Do you guys generally drop deer, or go tracking them for hours till they bleed out?

Good broadhead through both lungs usually drops a deer within 100 yards. But ur problem is the usually factor, to drop them in there tracks with a bow you would probably have to break the spine which a crossbow is more than capable of doing but i would keep shots under 30 yards because its a small target. Shouldn't be a problem if you have to chase them off the lawn lol. 

Sorry man, you cant use a crossbow in westchester county. It's illegal.  Check out this link for all the FAQ's about the new NYS Law. Below is your answer though.

I just saved you a big fine, and humiliation in the Journal News.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html

Question: May I use a crossbow in the bowhunting only areas of New York, such as Westchester County, parts of Albany and Monroe counties, and Suffolk County)?

Answer: No. However, you may use a crossbow in Suffolk County during the January firearms season for deer, beginning with the 2011-2012 hunting seasons.

yeaa i thought the crossbow would be allowed during bow-season everywhere but its not..being in putnam county, even if I got a crossbow id still have to wait until after the early bow season, then shotgun season, and by then, you're probably better off with a ML instead of a crossbow......if they ever allow the crossbow during regular archery, id probably get into it.

You also have to take the class when they create it to get a crossbow license..like taking the hunter safety class all over again but just for the crossbow.

I have killed many deer with a bow (30+)  I have only had 1 drop within 10yards.  keepiong a deer on 1 acres?  Probably not going to happen.  This is why:  A bow relize on hemeraging which the aminal needs to run out of blood.  Unlike a firearm which is aided by hydrostatic shock.  Which in a sence is a shock wave almost frying the insides of the body.  Not happening with a cut!!!

• 1 month later...

yeaa i thought the crossbow would be allowed during bow-season everywhere but its not..being in putnam county, even if I got a crossbow id still have to wait until after the early bow season, then shotgun season, and by then, you're probably better off with a ML instead of a crossbow......if they ever allow the crossbow during regular archery, id probably get into it.

You also have to take the class when they create it to get a crossbow license..like taking the hunter safety class all over again but just for the crossbow.

Having the ability to hunt 3S is like being given the keys to the store.

The deer are everywhere, all the time.

Having said that, use a 100 gr Spitfire if you have the KE, and don't hunt the property line.

A good double lung will take them down every time.

And...x guns are still not allowed during the bow season, and especially not in designated bow only areas.