Anyone Ice Fishing ?

RTF

A buddy and I fished Keuka this afternoon, off Indian Pines at Penn Yan..

We did OK..Kept  40  nice Bluegills and pumpkinseeds, taken from about  8 feet of water on spikes... Ice there was over a foot thick..One fellow close to us was running tipups and he took two keeper largemouths, two keeper pickerel, and put back a sub legal northern...

There were half a dozen guys fishing fairly close to open water down near the bluff on the PY branch..I have heard that they are knocking the snot out of lakers jigging....One fish was reported to be 15 + pounds...

Personally I don't have the stones to go out over 100 FOW with only 3-4" of ice but I guess the guys that are doing it are having fun...

Personally I don't have the stones to go out over 100 FOW with only 3-4" of ice but I guess the guys that are doing it are having fun...

Dont matter if its 100 FOW or 1 over your head, either way your SOL.

Just got a report from my buddy. I will be out Saturday morning come hell or high water, the later being more likely. We will put chains on the Kabota if we have to. His dad has limited out on perch the last three days he has been out (Sunday, Monday and today) and we aint talking dinks.

Dont matter if its 100 FOW or 1 over your head, either way your SOL.

Just got a report from my buddy. I will be out Saturday morning come hell or high water, the later being more likely. We will put chains on the Kabota if we have to. His dad has limited out on perch the last three days he has been out (Sunday, Monday and today) and we aint talking dinks.

You are right about being SOL...I'm hoping the guys that are fishing that chancey ice are taking ropes & other emergency gear, and definitely not going alone..

Good luck on the perch this weekend...

I have only gone out on questioinabe ice twice....it was in the same trip...the first time...and the last time :) . I should have known I was in for trouble when the guy showed up to pick me up and had a canoe in his truck. no open water but he uses it as a sled and said it works good if someone goes through. It was one of the most UN relaxing days of my life.