One area over another?

buckman4c

Looking for some useful feedback.

So, we have decided to hunt the second day (Sunday) of rifle deer/bear season in New York while at bear camp in Potter County, Pa.

Our camp is located about 40 minutes south of Olean. While looking at topo/road/aerial maps, I've found several public land areas

within reasonable driving distance. I only have, as of right now, (1) full day of boots on the ground scouting available.

With that said, I'm looking for some feedback on Cattaragaus County public land. I'm not asking anyone to "give up" their specific

hunting location. Rather, I'm looking for information on overall hunting pressure as it relates to the land area, in general hunting

success for deer and bear.

In particular, I'm interested in knowing if any certain location may be more productive for bear hunting. We would like to hunt good area for deer but prefer a better location to kill a bear. We believe the deer would also be found in the same area.

So, these are the locations I've found which are within our driving distance and contain enough land area to suit:

#1. Nine Mile Creek State Forest (combined with) Windfall Creek State Forest

#2. McCarty Hill S.F. (combined with) Rock City S.F.

#3. Golden Hill S.F. (combined with) Raecher Hill S.F.

I would certainly appreciate any feedback on these locations. I know it's considerable land base to consider but starting big and

narrowing down the choice is my preferred method when hunting out of State. Thankfully, I have many choices to consider. NY and PA

have an abundance of public land which is good for us (hunters).

Hanging bog/ cranberry hollow or Harwood lake area would.be about an hour from you, both hold plentiful deer and bear. Rock city has bear around as I've driven through the area but I do not know deer hunting , though I would be leary as its close to indian reservation land.. and they tend to wander...

Edited by G-Man