Clearing land for plots

So I am going to try my first plot most like not till

Next season because there is too much work to be done, there is a small clearing toward the back of my land that I want to expand to about an acer....what is the best way to get rid of stumps and roots or should I just plant around them ? Thinking about daikon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depends on trees and size for me and when being done...first year I like to cut Maple ash,and hop horn  at chest level The reason I do this is because they tend to re-sprout...when the re-sprout and the trunks are at that height it does 2 things...makes the deer feel more secure in going in to that "opened" space and the re-sprouting is tender and at their height to feed and they will...I work around the trunks...if there are a lot I take all the smaller ones down to dirt and hit stump with a brush of concentrated brush killer... If you space larger trunks out  When setting up a stand regrowth helps to cover you from their eyes. The following year the truck will either not sprout or continue to and you can make decisions on whether to keep some or not. If not now you can cut and drill holes to insert root killer or cut to ground, brush and work around the stump until it rots...leaving it high and killing the root system will make pushing over or pulling out much easier and cause less of a hole to repair...

I still have reprouting trees I cut years ago the deer love browsing the new growth...They are great at hiding your drawing...they step behind that ball of growth, you draw and when they step to the other side you have the shot.

Edited by growalot

I know of a few friends that had a guy come in with a bulldozer. It was able to clear the land of everything including removing the stumps. Not too expensive either.

when having the dozer clear the stumps be concious of how much top soil he takes with them. tough to grow much on bed rock.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1