Accessing DEP land

left field

I was hoping to fish a couple of little streams in the DEP watershed this year, but the lack of rain and snowpack changed that. Now that hunting season is rolling around I'm looking at a few areas around me mostly for small game and upland birds. I see the blue signs allowing access but there is also evidence of people working the land - fields have been cut or dirt roads maintained.

What are the rules of these areas? Complete public access as long as you are there for a legal recreational purpose? If there is a road can you drive on it?

Thanks.

Different rules for different pieces of land. Best to reach out to DEP's website for accurate information.

For example, some areas you need an access permit. Some areas you don't.

Some areas will allow guns, while other areas don't. Some areas will allow small game, while others only big game.

Find out the piece you want to hunt, and look it up on DEP's website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, shawnhu said:

Different rules for different pieces of land. Best to reach out to DEP's website for accurate information.

For example, some areas you need an access permit. Some areas you don't.

Some areas will allow guns, while other areas don't. Some areas will allow small game, while others only big game.

Find out the piece you want to hunt, and look it up on DEP's website.

Yea good point some are only big game or bow only or fishing only for example  . You have to look them up to know for sure 

Thanks.

I should have been more specific. The areas I'm talking about are in Delaware and there is evidence of working of the land. Driving along the road I see blue signs, but the field is pretty clearly being grown and cut though according to the maps it looks like the public land comes right to the road. Perhaps the DEP land is beyond the field. Maybe the question is what are the rules about crossing private land to access watershed land.

Thanks.
I should have been more specific. The areas I'm talking about are in Delaware and there is evidence of working of the land. Driving along the road I see blue signs, but the field is pretty clearly being grown and cut though according to the maps it looks like the public land comes right to the road. Perhaps the DEP land is beyond the field. Maybe the question is what are the rules about crossing private land to access watershed land.

Simple answer is, you need permission.

• Like 1

Thanks, Shawn. I guess it was a stupid question. So there are "landlocked" DEP lands?  

What I don't see in your link are hunting restrictions other than "yes" "no" or "bow". Is there another site with details regarding big game/small game? Can't find anything on the DEP site.

Thanks, Shawn. I guess it was a stupid question. So there are "landlocked" DEP lands?  
What I don't see in your link are hunting restrictions other than "yes" "no" or "bow". Is there another site with details regarding big game/small game? Can't find anything on the DEP site.

If you go all the way to the bottom you'll see examples of restrictions.

Ah, I never read the last page of a book or menu.

The tiny colour type?

** Hunting by Bow Only 

*** Hunting by Shotgun or Bow Only (no rifle).

**** Hunting is by Bow Only and for Deer Only (no Small Game or Bear hunting).

Got it. So unless there is a specific notation with colour and asterisk in the chart, it means general NYS rules apply.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, left field said:

Ah, I never read the last page of a book or menu.

The tiny colour type?

** Hunting by Bow Only 

*** Hunting by Shotgun or Bow Only (no rifle).

**** Hunting is by Bow Only and for Deer Only (no Small Game or Bear hunting).

Got it. So unless there is a specific notation with colour and asterisk in the chart, it means general NYS rules apply.

Thanks.

Be careful with that there are mistakes on tge dep website some county's are bow only!!! And they have some listed wrongly as bow and  shotgun only . General rules apply over what ever they say if the county is no firearms for  example like in westchester you cant use a shotgun .

Which they have mistakenly put on the dep website for a few places I noticed 

Be careful with that there are mistakes on tge dep website some county's are bow only!!! And they have some listed wrongly as bow and  shotgun only . General rules apply over what ever they say if the county is no firearms for  example like in westchester you cant use a shotgun .
Which they have mistakenly put on the dep website for a few places I noticed 

Probably best if you fully understand the regs before posting on a public website, where new hunters might be trying to learn.

No where in the regulations states that shotguns are not allowed in Westchester County. Shotguns are allowed for small game throughout the county. The DEP also allows shotgun for small game in certain parcels of their property.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shawnhu said:

Probably best if you fully understand the regs before posting on a public website, where new hunters might be trying to learn.

No where in the regulations states that shotguns are not allowed in Westchester County. Shotguns are allowed for small game throughout the county. The DEP also allows shotgun for small game in certain parcels of their property.

No I hunt in  westchester you cant use any fire arm try it and you will be in handcuffs no firearms at all not for small game not for anything  .the dep site is wrong 

Edited by LJC

No I hunt in  westchester you cant use any fire arm try it and you will be in handcuffs no firearms at all not for small game not for anything  .the dep site is wrong 

Show me the regs that state this.

I've hunted in Westchester with a firearm and I'm still a free man.

If you'd like, we can even put a little wager on this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, shawnhu said:

n Westchester County and on Long Island it is illegal to use any rifle or crossbow for hunting, or to carry one afield

Trust me I live in westchester you walk in the woods with a shotgun your going to jail 

It's bow only !! 

Not even crossbow 

n Westchester County and on Long Island it is illegal to use any rifle or crossbow for hunting, or to carry one afield

Trust me I live in westchester you walk in the woods with a shotgun your going to jail 

It's bow only !! 
Not even crossbow 

Want to put a wager? I'm confident, are you?

18 minutes ago, shawnhu said:

Yea you lose  you did not hunt in westchester you probably hunted in putnam big buck or one of the other places up there 

In Westchester County and on Long Island it is illegal to use any rifle or crossbow for hunting, or to carry one afield

Yea you lose  you did not hunt in westchester you probably hunted in putnam big buck or one of the other places up there 

In Westchester County and on Long Island it is illegal to use any rifle or crossbow for hunting, or to carry one afield

So now you're changing it? What happened to no firearms?

5 minutes ago, shawnhu said:

Want to put a wager? I'm confident, are you?

And if you go to any of the dep units in westchester all the blue  signs only show bow symbol btw the website is wrong 

3 minutes ago, shawnhu said:

So, you're not confident enough to wager.

You also spread a lot of false information.

I just showed you the regulation.

20 minutes ago, shawnhu said:

So, you're not confident enough to wager.

You also spread a lot of false information.

Look i know for sure because I hunt there you go to the places on that list in westchester not one let's you use a gun to hunt its on the blue signs what you can use it will have a symbol for a gun if you can use a gun not one has that I have been to all of them in westchester. If it is  not on the sign it is  not allowed. 

Now you go argue with the cops when they catch you if you like . 

Look i know for sure because I hunt there you go to the places on that list in westchester not one let's you use a gun to hunt its on the blue signs what you can use it will have a symbol for a gun if you can use a gun not one has that I have been to all of them in westchester. If it is  not on the sign it is  not allowed. 
Now you go argue with the cops when they catch you if you like . 

You have no idea where I hunt, and who I know in the DEP.

It's probably best you stop spreading false information for others that want to learn to hunt the area.

Shotguns are allowed in Long Island and Westchester for small game.