Thoughts on Weatherby rifles

Billdogge

• 10 months later...

Overweight, over bore and over priced. Unless you are looking to scratch a particular itch with a Roy there are other choices that would make better sense . You did not  mention what you are planning to do with it , the caliber, or the budget. If you are considering the law I am assuming the budget is around $1600. I’ve got a few of Marks rifles dating back to his earlier years and they are silly accurate. Have you ever considered looking for a used custom? I know quite a few guys who build them shoot them for a year or two and then sell them to go on to another build. I’ve seen $5000 guns at new cost go for as little as a grand a few years later with plenty of life in the barrel. I do own a few Rem’s And Sako’s but really have no interest in the current flavors available over the counter anymore. You could put together a really nice rifle for 1600 is you care to take on a simple project and have some time to wait for it. How about  this blueprint

Rem 700 stainless  action $350

Action squared and a Hart custom barrel install $750

Jewll trigger $215

B&C stock from stocks stocks $220 bucks

cerekoted for $220 

all in for 17 and a little in what ever caliber you can think of . If you get a mountain rifle contour the gun should come in in the 6.6 lb range. Put a Leopold 2.5x8x36 on it and go kill things and be merry.