Shrubs for food plot

I have a half acre food plot on an 8 acre property and I am looking to add shrubs to provide cover and food for deer.  I will be ordering from the local DEC nursery or soil district plant sales.  I am thinking 2 rows of red dogwood and then a row of white cedar to surround the food plot.  It's a very open area and looking for a way to make it more private in a quick way.  I am also considering the cranberry bush and possible crab-apple.   The soil is pretty good drainage and decent amount of clay.  Its a previous apple orchard that has been converted to a lawn area.  Should I do anything different.. suggestions? How do you recommend planting?   I am putting wheat and clover in the food plot which I want to turn to clover for a few years.... 

Plan on wrapping those cedar? Because they need protection from deer,both as food but favored buck rubbing....try aronia ,hazel nuts, blue berries. Low growing crab apple and trimmed mulberries,  semi dwarf fruit trees can act as shrubs. Then in wet areas you can go with certain shrubbery willows. Even single bush big hip roses...deer love rose leaf,young branches chew and hips in winter. Just read carefully when choosing those. Bush cherries..I have grown all of these BTW. I just plant Goji berries for them this past year. They need support get 10ft high and the  18"whips I planted in June had fruit in Sept! Nothing better than a black berry patch. Elderberry....won't grow thick. But deer love them . Do some research on fruiting bushes.kousa dog wood.

PS..if your planting for the critter..look at the nutrient value on what you plant. Some are good protein other vitamins,potassium,carbs. Even help with intestinal parasites and disease. Covers are great, but make your time and money work to it's fullest benefit,now's the time to read.

Edited by growalot

I almost forgot...plums wild plums...the deer go crazy for them..That said the other important thing...spread...some shrubs spread by root suckering ...even trees and brambles do...So where you plant is very important you can control spread by mowing...I learned the hard way with the plum...I don't regret planting them just where...I planted them along my garden fence...They act as a deer barrier deer won't, cant jump them...mowing keeps them at bay out side the garden but man tilling up those roots each year in the garden is a PITA. and they are stealing nutrients from the plants...so you will get very fast thick cover and prized fruit...but know some things need control.