working birds everyday

noodle one

I have been out everyday except yesterday when it rained so hard. I have had birds gobble everyday, but they hang up and don't want to come in. I called in a big gobbler on Monday that came in to 50 or 60 yards and hung up. This morning I worked a bird that gobbled a (12) doz times and still would not show himself. He came to within (100) hundred yards and hung up. I know some of the gobblers have hens with them , they gobble once or twice and shut up. I am hunting big open woods and they can see a long ways. When they don't see any hen , they just stand there looking. I have seem (2) two different birds do this to me. They stand there for a half hour and don't move. I have used decoys the last two times out and have used every trick that I know of. I have used every call in my bag and I have many. Sometimes when I setup and I just scratch the leaves , this has made them gobble ,but they still will not come in. This land is loaded with turkeys. I have hunted turkey for (40) forty years and only had one other year that they acted this way. I know what call i need to use to get them in, but I don't want to use this call because there are other hunters in the woods. That call is the gobble. Maybe after this weekend when the other guys have to go back to work. I am hunting our club land (1400) acres and I will know if anyone is hunting the land , members only. I am retired so I can hunt everyday if I want ha! ha!. Anyone know of any thing that I can use for this weekend?   

perhaps some light 2 note yelps in combo with cluck purrs  as if feeding...If you can entice a live hen in perhaps any toms in the area will come in as well....

I go out tomorrow to hunt the big bird in the area,,,hopefully he's still alive....gas over 4:05 per gal...not going to camp Thank You :)

Fighting purrs work wonders sometimes as per BIGTOM,

But a neat little trick is to shove a peg in the ground with an eyelet on top in front of your hen decoy. Run mono line from your hen decoy's beak then through the eyelet and then to your sitting position about 20 yards away. Tug on the line to make the decoy's head bob up and down. It gives it a little life like feeding motion.

This has worked for me many times on toms that hang up.

Good Luck!