Target Rifle Caliber

Culver you are absolutely correct with that equation but that is what is called an ideal equation as it omits friction, which is where the 7mm surpasses the 30 cal,a 7mm bullet experiences less friction than the 308 allowing the 7-08 cartridges to start out with less muzzle velocity and still equal the same Energy on target as the 308 and allows you to use lighter bullets further decrease recoil. So velocity and bullet weight being being equal recoil will be the same but the 7mm-08 will actually hit harder on target than the 308. 

Good point Bball.

look at these charts.

7mm-.08---last line 150 gr SP http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballistics/7mm_08_rem.html

.308 ---17th line down 150gr SP with about the same muzzle velocity and energy http://www.shootingtimes.com/ballistics/308_winchester.html

shows what you are saying with energy at distances. But I wonder how much difference  there needs to be to actually "feel" a difference. i  think we need a Hunting NY double blind field trial...lol

But we are also splitting hairs comparing these two calibers, isnt it something that we can come up with so much to talk about when two things only vary by 0.024". Now if we were to compare the dinosaur we all seem to shoot any way the 30-06, now there is a recoil difference hahaha.  7-08 shoots a tad flatter, and culver they are currently shooting 140gr loads out of the 7-08 with an upgrade to 160gr for the bear hunt. Looking at factory ballistics charts i think they also load the 7-08 low but maybe not i havent had a chance to shoot my handloads yet as my scope just arrived today.