River Fishing- Canisteo River

Pygmy

Hot, low water conditions have a negative effect on some types of fishing ( like stream trout) but for fishing for walleyes and smallmouths on our local small rivers midsummer is one of the best times.

I think it is because the lower water concentrates the fish into deeper pockets. it also increases thier metabolism and makes them very aggressive when they are in a mood to feed.

I have been doing well the last week fishing mornings from dawn until about 9:00 Am. Since last Friday I have caught 4 nice keeper walleyes ( 18.5'- 21")  and a number of smallmouths in the 14 -15 inch range. My hot lure has been a # 11 floating Rapala in gold and black.

The smallies have struck savagely and fought like demons..Lots of jumps and hard runs..

If you are a bait guy you can really put a hurtin' on them this time of the year with dobson ( hellgramites) or stone catfish (tonies). However, I seldom have to resort to bait anymore on the river. Between the Rapala, my homemade hair jigs and small plastics such as pumpkinsed twister grubs, I generally manage to catch enough fish to make me happy.