West Branch Delaware and Rainbows

noodle one

In the last week and a half I have caught three rainbows in the west branch. That can only mean that the water is warming up down below Hales Eddy. The rainbows are moving up stream to find cooler water. I love it went they move up because they are a very exciting fish to hook up on. There runs are so mush faster than browns and when hooking up on one with light tackle it can be some of the best fishing this time of the year.

Yeah Noodle, though rainbows are special...Fighting SOBs...!!..  The only fish I have caught in freshwater that comes close are landlocked atlantic salmon.

You have a unique fishery on the Delaware, since the reservoirs keep the river cold and the fishing good all year long.  On the streams that I fish,  trout fishing is pretty slow in the summer, due to high water temps aand low water.  Fortunately , I have some excellent warm water fisheries available for walleye,bass and panfish, or  lake fishing for lakers and landlocks, if I want to do the dep water thing.

• 5 months later...

Both the West Branch and the East Branch are "abnormal rivers"....They are kept abnormally high and cold by reservoir releases. Some trout fishermen thinks that great....Others, such as I do not!

Consider this: If by some means, the temperature of these rivers were raised the same amount that the reservoirs lower it, fishermen would be screaming, "Thermal Pollution!" But fisherman, particularly well-off fly fisherman think the abnormal stream temps. of the Delaware branches is just ducky. They may, in fact, be better for trout fishing, but these rivers do not support the varied recreational experiences that existed in the past. When will we learn....all reservoirs ain't good?