CVA Hunterbolt

hueyjazz

So I've had this Muzzleloader for years and have taken it out a few times during season but have never gotten a deer with it.  Muzzleloader season has been rough for me to participate in as I'm in charge of an annual maintenance shutdown and it conflicts with the season for the last 36 freaking years.  Well I intend to retire in 14 months and this is an activity I do plan to participate in as I will move to my mountain full time.  A good old boy from Georgia originally set me up many years ago with using Hornady 6750 Green sabots 50 cal., 44 cal. Hornady 240 Gr HP/XTP bullets, CCI 209 shotgun primers over two Pyrodex 50gr. pellets.  Bore butter to lube barrel each load and a hot water bath of Murphy's oil soap for barrel after the conclusion of any shooting with more bore butter at end.

He only used a "Smokepole" and was quite skilled when he hunted with me.  

It seems to shoot very well as far as accuracy but I've read this forum with great interest.  Seems Buckhorn 209 powder and Powerbelts is mostly what's used.  Is my formula off for deer hunting by current standards?

I know my current gun isn't suited for Buckhorn.  I'm considering an upgrade to a CVA Accura Mountain Rifle.  You really don't get a shot over a 100 yards on my mountain

Edited by hueyjazz