Ammo for Garand

I own a M1 garand that I would like to use for hunting deer. Military ammo is full metal jacket. I am wondering if anyone has information where I could buy hunting 30-06 ammo that would not damage the operating rod of my weapon. Thanks for any assistance

Pointman.... Natchez Shooters Supply, www.natchezss.com has Garand Specific match ammo loaded with Hornday's 168 grain AMAX bullet. I am not familiar with the performance of this bullet on game, but it is NOT a FMJ. Many match bullets are hollow points, so in that weight it might be a decent game bullet. You could call or email Hornady and ask them if it would be suitable for deer hunting.

Another option, if you have any friends that reload, would be for you to buy some military ammo that you are sure is non-corrosive and have them pull the FMJs and replace them with a hunting bullet of the same weight. Most 30-06 military rounds are loaded with 147 -150 grain bullets, so most any 150 grain spitzer would work.

You could also have a reloader just load you up a supply of hunting rounds with commercial components. Stick with bullets from 150-168 grains and use either H4895, IMR 4895 or IMR 4064in charges suitable for the M-1. Loading data is readily available online for M-1 specific loads.

You are wise not to use regular factory loads in your Garand. When I first got mine I was unaware of the fact that most factory loads are loaded with slow burning powders having a longer pressure curve than the Garand was designed for. I fired a few boxes of Remington green through my rifle, and sure enough, the result was a bent operating rod...Cost me about $80 for my mistake, and that was a few years ago .They are no doubt more expensive to replace now.

There may be other sources of Garand compatible hunting loads.. I'll do a little sniffing around and give you a holler if I turn up anything.

I have been browsing around for info on the Amax 168 grain bullet.

It is basically a hollow point with a plastic tip to prevent deformation.

Some posts I have read say that it is a very effective hunting bullet, although Hornady markets it as a match bullet. I would expect that at the moderate velocities of the 30-06 with Garand friendly powder charges, it might be an excellent deer load. They ain't CHEAP, but how many are you going to shoot while hunting deer.?

If you want to hunt deer with your Garand, I think it is a good option, unless you are a handloader, in which case there are much less expensive options.

Edited by Pygmy

• 2 weeks later...