Dopping down to 50 gr. 777 pellet?

phade

My FIL is willing to try MZ hunting this year...I offered him the goods to do so to see if he likes it first.

I've letting him hunt with my CVA Wolf. In the past I used two 50 gr. pellets with a PB. It performed OK and I had no issues.

I wondering if I can drop down to a single 50 gr pellet for him to see if he likes it (hunting with a mz). I've since moved on to BH209 for my Vortek UL. I've got about 30 pellets left of the 777. He'd likely limit himself to 60-75 yds MAX shot when hunting. I've heard of several youths hunting with 50 gr. charges...just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. I'd rather not go out and spend cash for a new box of 777 when I no longer use it and he's not guranteed to like it.

I've got several options to match it with 223 grain PB, 240 gr. Hornady XP, 250 gr Hornady SST, and 300 gr. w/Harvester Crush Rib (something similar in design to the XP).

Thoughts? Is he kosher for 50-60 yd shots? I'm unaware of any places online to check. I want him to get some practice shots in, before handing him the gun, obviously, hence my hope to have enough pellets for practice/hunting.

yep, that's fine, I normally only shoot a 70 grain 2F load on even elk and moose with my 50 cals. you woouldn't hesitate to shoot a deer with a 45-70 why hold back with a 50-70 or a 50-50..

I often load one pellet in a TC hawken caplock for kids and they load powerbelts, a bullet I really dislike alhtough we've never lsot a deer with them, but is very easy for newbies to load easily,

one pellet, one bullet, one cap, very easy to remember and fast and easy for anyone of any experience to load.

as long as he is sighted in at 50 yards with it or whatever range his shooting will be at, and is hitting well with it have at it. and have fun!