Hunter Harassment

bowhunter1

During the recent bow season I had a guy who is known for his road hunting and shooting deer at night and hunting any land he feels like hunting whether he has permission or not shooting off his shotgun in the direction of my son and my treestands and blowing his horn night and day. My son and I tried all different things to avoid this guy from being dropped off by my wife or brother to parking in different spots, but no matter where I parked my truck he would do the same thing morning and night. The police said that this was a grey area and they really could not do much about it..which made no sense to my son and I. On tuesday the 15th time after he had fired about 50 or more rounds from his shotgun into the area in which I was hunting I had had enough and went and took down one of his treestands that was on the property my son and I hunt which he does not have permission to hunt and brought it to his house and put it on his yard. He came storming out of his house screaming like a mad man saying "you and your son will never shoot a big buck on this property again". (My son is 16 and was not with me at the time) When he came at me thats when things went down hill pretty fast. I met him a hit him and split his face open pretty good. His wife called 911 while he laid on the ground saying "your going to jail now asshole" and in 5 minutes cops came and arrested me for 3rd degree assault and trespassing. I had a witness that saw the whole thing but the cops never qustioned him. The police said I did not have the right to remove his treestand because I was not the land owner and only the care taker of the land. The lady who owns the land is 97 and is the one who should have removed the stand, are you kidding me. So now a order of protection was issued which means they took all my weapons and my sons because he is under 18. Now this makes no sense to me...he shoots at me or in my direction 50 or more time and police do nothing and they take my guns. He shoots deer from the road and I call the police no one shows. I beat the shit out of the scum bag and the whole National Gaurd shows up. Any thoughts.

P.S.-The local gun clubs hate this guy and have raised enough money to pay all my legal fees and pay his medical bills. He is now going after me financially.

I hate those people who tip toes the law. I don't agree with any of it but he tip toed it while you unfortunately corssed it. It sucks because he sort of baited you into it. I feel bad for you and your son and I hope you get your stuff back. I also hope you busted his face real good.

• Like 1

I can certainly see why you were so frustrated with the guy, but you did a stupid thing.

BEFORE you popped the guy, you should have been aware of the NYS Hunter Harassment law and provided the cops with this when they said it was a "grey area". Maybe a conservation officer would have been more aware of this law and enforced it. http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSSEAF.cgi?QUERYTYPE=LAWS+&QUERYDATA=$$ENV11-0110$$@TXENV011-0110+&LIST=SEA2+&BROWSER=BROWSER+&TOKEN=01990692+&TARGET=VIEW

I was aware of the hunter harassment law and had video but his face was not clear enough for the DA to push charges I was told. Thanks for the info. The game wardens have since been working with me and I cant say enough good things about them. I will beat the charges and am not worried about that but his life is about to get alot worse. The only thing I did wrong was I went to his house and should have got him on a dirt road somewhere.