The Thompson Center Classic 22

Back before being bought out by S&W TC decided to enter the rimfire market with a 22 rifle built in the old fashioned traditional way using steel and walnut, the rifle was called the "Classic." A magazine fed autoloader was the route taken, the receiver was made from steel, the magazine was made from steel, the barrel was threaded into the receiver and had a match chamber, and for the final touch the stock was done in good old American walnut. The fit and finish of both metal and wood was outstanding, everything about it was my kind of firearm.

When I heard about the classic being introduced I was standing in line waiting with cash in hand tp purchase one and got one in my hands. I quickly found that with match ammo the Classic would shoot groups right up there with my high end bolt actions. On Rimfire Central com there were owners that were winning matches and the Classic was riding high.

The Classic's reputation came tumbling down shortly after it was discovered the extractor was slightly oversize and on some rifles cause a tiny chip of metal to wear away in the extractor groove. To be perfectly honest the chip had zero effect on accuracy or reliability of the rifle but that was all it took to destroy the Classic's stellar reputation and sales plummeted. The sad thing is the whole problem was easily solved with with just a small amount of metal removed off the extractor so there was no contact with the barrel. I did the fix myself along with a bit of trigger work and I have no chip.

TC tried to rectify the problem with dropping the Classic and bringing out a new rifle called the Benchmark which was basically the Classic without the extractor problem and a laminated stock. This did not shore up sales and sadly the whole works was dumped when purchased by S&W. Their new rifle is a cheaper to manufacture Ruger clone and there is no doubt it is a fine rifle but it is no Classic in my eyes.

Anyhow yesterday I had my Classic out for some exercise and with the Federal match ammo I was using she was laying them in there nicely and a couple of Flies got their angel wings. 

So if you happen to run across a used Classic in your favorite gun store they can be bought a lot cheaper than what they are worth in my opinion and if you are in the market for a 22 rifle you will not go wrong taking it home with you.

Al

2020-08-16_165050.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2