1903 Springfield

13BVET

It depends on a lot of things, Vet... Is it a 1903 or a 1903 A3.?.. The 1903 was the earlier model used during WWI and the 03-A3 was still being manufactered and issued during WWII and even Korea and Vietnam, as sniper rifles.. There were also a number of variations to the 03 and they might have considerable value to a collector, depending on thier rarity.

Original, unaltered specimens bring the most $$ . A sporter based on the 03 action basically has value as a shooter, with no collector value. Any alterations reduce the value considerably.

Your best bet for a value is to check out online gun auctions like www.gunbroker.com and see what they are going for. Good luck and keep us posted. I, for one, have always admired the 1903 and it's variations, although I have never owned one. I guess it's from watching Gary Cooper gun down all those Huns with his Springfield '03 in the movie " Sergeant York"....<<grin>>...

It depends on a lot of things, Vet... Is it a 1903 or a 1903 A3.?.. The 1903 was the earlier model used during WWI and the 03-A3 was still being manufactered and issued during WWII and even Korea and Vietnam, as sniper rifles.. There were also a number of variations to the 03 and they might have considerable value to a collector, depending on thier rarity.

Original, unaltered specimens bring the most $$ . A sporter based on the 03 action basically has value as a shooter, with no collector value. Any alterations reduce the value considerably.

Your best bet for a value is to check out online gun auctions like www.gunbroker.com and see what they are going for. Good luck and keep us posted. I, for one, have always admired the 1903 and it's variations, although I have never owned one. I guess it's from watching Gary Cooper gun down all those Huns with his Springfield '03 in the movie " Sergeant York"....<<grin>>...

I'll have to get more specific info on it. I do know that barrels were upgraded in later years on a lot of these rifles.

The 1903 was the earlier model used during WWI and the 03-A3 was still being manufactered and issued during WWII

The M1903 was produced buy Springfield and Rock Island Armory from 1905 until about 1919. In 1941 Remington started manufacture of the M1903 for WWII using RIA's old worn out tooling that was in storage since 1919. After having proplems with these rifles they were given permission for changes to the manufacturing process and the rifle which became the M1903A3. These rifles started at or about serial number 3,330,000 There is a group of serial numbers which include some of the last RIA and some of the 03 made by Remington in 1941 that have weak actions due to the worn out tooling. M1903A3's were also made by Smith Corona for WWII

Edited by jhog1