Any changes in plans for deer season this year?

Robhuntandfish

Quite a few are coming for me:

1) I will not ignore the sound of a stick breaking, when the leaves are damp.

2) I am going to replace two small, uncomfortable stands that lack good rests, with larger ones that will have them.  A good rest always helps with a gun and is much more important with my new front-heavy crossbow, than it was with my old one.  I have already completed the platforms.

3) I will take those old, small stands to a couple new locations, in heavy cover, where a rest is not needed because ranges are short.  Having a couple more options for different winds will be good.

4) I am going to get my old sidelock, caplock, carbine ML set up with some new fiber optic sights.  I will use 2 pellets (100 grains) of 777 with that and my T/C Omega this year.  Last year, I used 3 pellets which was wastefull.

5) I am going to use straight prescription glasses with my scoped guns this year, rather than progressive bifocals.  I blame those for shooting under a buck and a doe with my ML last year, and for missing the shoulder blade by an inch, on the buck that I killed with my slug gun.

6) Hopefully, I will hunt a couple days at my buddy's souther tier camp, during the Holiday ML season, and have more time during the earlier part for hunting around home.

7) I will put in a fresh acre of wheat/soybean/white clover, and a little patch of turnip/radish, over at my folks place at the end of the summer (right next to one of those new platforms).

Two things that I will not change:

1) My stand for opening day morning of SZ gun season.  It has produced for me on the last three years, so it don't need fixing.

2) My self imposed, 3 or more points on a side antler restriction, during the first half of the seasons.  I have not killed an legally antlered buck, without at least 3 on one side, since 2012.

20210308_184340.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

Purchasing 1 maybe 2 octagon 6x6 deer blinds this year from the amish. I believe a forum member bought one last season....and I think the same place in Wellsville NY is the leading candidate for the best price. This will allow more time in the woods with my very young sons who love going hunting.
Plan on running a few more cell cams and focusing on parts of one lease that I haven't personally hunted yet.
Also selling my climber and getting a mobile hang on and sticks together to hunt public land or setup at a buddies that i usually get an invite to hunt at a few times a season.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1