Walleye?

Enigma

2 hours ago, ncountry said:

I would have to agree with wolc.

Years ago I would have listed the best tasting fish as crappie/perch being #1 with walleye close #2 . Nowadays I prefer 12-15" bass(my personal slot limit) over a  walleye caught out of the St Lawrence. 

In the past all my walleye came out of the smaller local rivers and were delicious. I was never so disappointed as the last few times I ate walleye caught out of the St Lawrence. I would take a bass any day over them. Of coarse all my bass come out of small local lakes, not sure if that makes a difference.

Good to hear that (and then there were two).  A few others here would have me believe that I am the only one who prefers bass.

Those big slob walleyes from the St Lawrence and lake Erie are marginally ok if eaten fresh, but not so hot out of the freezer.  Unless you like that peculiar algae flavor.

Other than making for some impressive looking stringers, I dont have much good to say about those "water filled" pillow cases.  That is about the best description I have heard for a walleye caught on trolling gear.

Hooking into one of those 6 to 10 pounders, under the boat on a light jigging rod is kind of fun though.  That is the only way I have caught any over the last 10 years. 

I havent had the (mis) fortune of hooking into one yet this year.  This was the last one I caught (opening day of bass season on Erie last June).   

It was big enough to feed my family of four, with leftovers for me at work the next day.  We were able to choke it down baked fresh ok, with plenty of pepper and garlic to help cover up the algae flavor:

20210116_081342.jpg

Ps, I swallowed the cheeks whole and raw, washed down by Genny cream ale.  They were about the size of small crappie fillets.

Edited by wolc123