Wood Fired Jalapeno Turkey Burgers

CDN

IMG_8438.jpg

For all the recipes that I do that are maybe not so good for you, here is one that is a little more friendly to the waistline and the arteries! These turkey burgers are a great alternative to the classic red meat burger, they're a breeze to make, and they taste incredible!

What you'll need:

1/2 to 1 pound ground turkey - 1/2 pound will make approximately 4 burgers

BBQ seasoning, such as Old WoodFire Grill KK's 10 BBQ Rub, or Cajun seasoning

1 raw egg

Oatmeal

Diced pickled jalapenos (optional)

Wood chunks, such as hickory, pecan or apple

Put the ground turkey in a large bowl and add the raw egg, mixing thoroughly. Add a little oatmeal and mix it in, continuing to add oatmeal as needed to get a sticky consistency. This will help make the burger patties stick together. If you want to spice them up a bit, add a tablespoon or so of diced pickled jalapenos. Season the patties with the BBQ rub or Cajun seasoning and place them in the refrigerator for an hour or so prior to cooking. This will also help them "set up" and not fall apart.

IMG_8426.jpg

Start your grill by building a medium to hot fire, around 350 degrees. I did this cook on the Weber Kettle, so for me that meant a full chimney of lump charcoal, fully lit when dumped and banked on one side, to create a hot side and a "cool" side. Throw a couple chunks of wood on the coals, such as hickory, pecan or apple, to get a nice smoky flavor on the turkey burgers. Carefully coat the grate with a light coat of olive oil or other cooking oil, and place the turkey burgers on the cool side of the grate. I normally would put red meat type burgers right over the coals to sear them and bring them off fairly quick, as I like them medium rare, but you will want to make sure the turkey gets thoroughly cooked. Trying to sear them could end up getting them too done and cause them to be dry. Let the turkey burgers cook for about 10 minutes on each side, or until the middle of the burger is white and no pink can be found internally. Serve them up on wheat buns with Creole mustard and a slice of tomato and lettuce.

IMG_8442.jpg

• 3 weeks later...