New old build '06

eagle rider

I swapped rifles with a guy in Texas, he wanted an old 300 Wby Mk V I had for a new in the box Weatherby S1 Vanny SubMOA in 30-06 (my fav). He said it had been in his safe for three years.  

This was a great trade for me because I only paid $400 for the old 300 and the S1 Vanny SubMOA was $1000 when they made them 5 years ago.  I know because I bought one in 270 WSM that I love.  

The problem with this one was that the stock was desert tan spider web.  I did a ton of research and did my own paint job in a brown web.  It was super easy to do and came out great! I added a DNZ Game Reaper scope mount, and topped it off with a Burris C4 Plus 30-06 3-9x40.  Then I'm in a gun shop in Coconut Creek Florida of all places about a month ago and there is a Timney Trigger for that rifle hanging on a piece of peg board.  It was a special order for a guy who had some "legal troubles" and no longer needed the trigger in his new residence.  Needless to say, the owner of the shop said I should make him an offer.  I got the trigger for $70!  

Not really having time to develop a load for it, I ran some Federal Fusion 150's through her to print the rifle.  Holy smoke true to the Vanny SubMOA reputation, she put 5 rounds through one hole at 100 yds!  A few clicks in a couple of directions and now I can absolutely say that this one will be coming to stand with me this year!

So every now and again the sun can shine on a dog's @$$.  All in, I got a $1000 rifle set up for $650 my cost!

Anyone got a similar story, please share it.  

post-1049-0-66061900-1413757810_thumb.jp

post-1049-0-55946900-1413757821_thumb.jp

Edited by eagle rider

Sounds like you got a good deal, Eagle.. That 06 is a shooter for sure.

My story involves a Canadian friend of mine. This took place a few years back when national gun registration was taking place in Canada. All firearms had to be registered and many people who owned guns and no longer hunted were selling them very cheap rather than go through the bother and expense of registering guns that they no longer used.

My friend was in the market for a .410 shotgun. he heard of an old fellow who had a .410, a .22 rifle, and a .303 rifle for sale.

My buddy bought all three for $100, PLUS a gun cabinet, a couple knives, some ammo and some other accessories.

He sold the .22 and the .303 for $100 each.

He doubled his money, and still had the .410 he had wanted plus the gun cabinet and other stuff.