Gun Storage

Hello,

due to space and wanting to keep the gun cabinet out of my sons eyesight. I will be moving it into the basement( I have a work bench down there and a tv with a couch/chairs to hang with the guys). in the summer we run a dehumdifier and the heater keeps it not to bad in the winter. There is never water down there but has been damp once or twice.

Will the guns be ok down there in the safe? I also keep the ammo in the other side and was wondering about that as well. I noticed people put dehumidifiers in the gun safe to regulate the humidy. Does anyone have any expiernce with these? or storing their guns in the basement? I want to make sure they are safe due to the amount of money I have invested in them.

thanks for your help and input!

I use this in my safe and have no issues in 2 years. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-Mini-Dehumidifier-for-Gun-Safes-Model-365-/230789629050?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bc22447a

I would keep it off the floor some,assuming you have concrete. Maybe build something out of 2x6 or a very stout hardwood pallet prettied up would do.And keep it away some from the wall. Over dry is just as bad as too humid for firearms. I check my firearms regularly for any out of norm conditions while kept in the safe.

If you have AC in your safe, I would highly recommend getting whats called a goldenrod. . It circulates warm air through the safe.I have had one in my Cannon safe now for 3 years with no issues to report of.

thank you for the replies. I have been doing research as well and that has brought me to these two units as well. was just looking for your guys input. I like the idea of the golden rod but do not have a power source in the safe. How would I go about about getting power in there? I would like one where I don't have to remember to charge the unit. thanks

If you have to put it the basement, well then do it. I'd get the Goldenrod thingy and also make sur ethat dehu runs well and drains to a hole or sump pump. No buckets or drain pans in your case. You want to make sure that baby runs when it needs to.

Got good gun oil? Use plenty.........

thank you for the replies. I have been doing research as well and that has brought me to these two units as well. was just looking for your guys input. I like the idea of the golden rod but do not have a power source in the safe. How would I go about about getting power in there? I would like one where I don't have to remember to charge the unit. thanks

The safe should (if its a good one) have a hole in the back (?) for a power cord. If not, shoot a hole in the sumbiatch...........

What ever safe you get should have some sort of whole in the bottom to secure to a floor. Mine is elevated four inches off the ground with 2x4's . You could raise the safe and then run a lead cord to a AC outlet for the golden rod. As I stated it circulates warm air the whole time. I have never been a fan of the re-charge unit because you might forget to charge it one time.I oil my guns no more then before I had the safe . all is ok on laminated stocks,stainless and blued barrels now for years.

What safe did you have in mind,?? One last thing,a gun safe is like a shed,you can never go to big.

Steve

Edited by sbuff