Custom shotgun?

I recently obtained a shotgun from my grandfather and was wondering if anyone on here had ever heard of the maker since I never have. The gun is a Cesare Peli-Gardone VT 12 gauge over/under. It has what appears to be a pigeon engraved on the bottom. Anyone ever heard of them?

What you have is an Italian made Guild Gun from the Gardone Val Trompia region of Italy. This area is a gun making region of Italy that has many different family owned manufacturers that all work together to build custom shotguns. It is a gun makers guild.

Their guns are of very good quality and will last for many years. They don't command really high collector prices because there are so many of them made and they are built under many different names. But as far as a hunting shotgun, they will serve you well for generations without a problem.

BTW, that is a Grouse engraved on the bottom. ;)

Edited by Grouse

What you have is an Italian made Guild Gun from the Gardone Val Trompia region of Italy. This area is a gun making region of Italy that has many different family owned manufacturers that all work together to build custom shotguns. It is a gun makers guild.

Their guns are of very good quality and will last for many years. They don't command really high collector prices because there are so many of them made and they are built under many different names. But as far as a hunting shotgun, they will serve you well for generations without a problem.

BTW, that is a Grouse engraved on the bottom. ;)

Dang, Grouse! You must know your guns.

Grouse, since you seem to be the most informed person on this topic, I also have an Abercrombie and Fitch 12 gauge o/u that my grandfather gave to me. I have also been looking for some info on this but never really find much. I never even knew they made guns...just thought they made teenagers clothing. I can upload some pics of that gun too. It is in much better condition than the Cesare. In any event, I will take both of them to my local gunsmith for his opinion on value so I can properly insure them. Thanks.

Grouse, since you seem to be the most informed person on this topic, I also have an Abercrombie and Fitch 12 gauge o/u that my grandfather gave to me. I have also been looking for some info on this but never really find much. I never even knew they made guns...just thought they made teenagers clothing. I can upload some pics of that gun too. It is in much better condition than the Cesare. In any event, I will take both of them to my local gunsmith for his opinion on value so I can properly insure them. Thanks.

Chiefbkt,

A&F did not make shotguns, but they did label many fine brands with their name and marketed them. Some very well know names, like Arrieta, Francotte, Krieghoff, Webley & Scott, Browning, Greener, Bernardelli, Zanotti, Zoli, Holland & Holland, etc., were imported and sold through A&F.

If you contact Griffin & Howe, they will have the records of A&F guns sold and may provide you with the actual manufacturer and a value if you provide them the serial number. (Some are obvious by their design, a Browning Superposed only looks like a Superposed, a Greener SxS has the lockwork of a Greener, etc.)

There is a search feature at this link if you have an idea of what maker the shotgun is. As you can see, the list is pretty extensive. Some makers not listed can also be researched if you contact them directly: http://griffinhowe.c...search-main.cfm

Edited by Setters4life

I would have to closely inspect that A&F O/U to see what proof marks it has to tell what country it was made in and possibly who made it.

Like Setters said, A&F put their name on many imported shotguns over the years. But you can be sure they only put it on fine quality shotguns that weren't inexpensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I took the Cesare o/u to my local gunsmith so he could check it out. He said definitely came from the Val Trompia area of Italy and was made in the 50's. He said custom guns like that sell new today for some big bucks (some close to $100,000) because most of the gun makers only produce a few a year. As far as mine goes, he said he wouldn't insure for any less than $2500. So I left it with him to run through it and get in perfect working order. Should have it back in 2 weeks when I come home from vacation. This is the 13th gun my grandfather has given me in the last few months...never thought I would say it but I'm running out of room!!