Cover crop for reclaimed pasture

I'm looking for suggestions for a good cover crop to plant this spring. I have about 20 acres of very overgrown pasture that I have been clearing over the past two years. It has everything from tall grasses and weeds, shrubs to small trees. I'm planning to finish it off with a skid steer brush hog this spring. The land was used for hay 20-30 years ago and then used for cattle for 5-10 years. My goal is to revitalize the soil and cut down on the weeds at the same time. I plan on planting all of the primary food plot crops once everything is under control. After some research, buckwheat and sudangrass are high on my list.

I can not say enough good things about buck wheat...and with than many acres...I'd look into finding a local bee keeper who might want buck wheat honey...make a deal/trade...then seeing it hasn't been work for some time and you'll have heavy equipment on it..... think about hog radish in the fall....winter wheat is a good weed suppressor but read up on the radish

This all said the more the soil is turned the more weed seed is exposed...that's a many year process...let the plants do the work(deep roots) and stay on the surface with equipment ...IMO and experience

yea buckwheat is the way to go for spring summer. keep winter rye in mind too for a fall planting it will grow anywhere, and is a very good natural herbicide. if you blend it with some clovers/chicory i think youll be impressed.

the sudangrass wont appeal to a deers diet much, its very similar to corn but without the corn lol but does act as very good cover, and as a screening tool. ive heard of people planting it around a foodplot to make the plot more secure to the deer.

I had looked into buckwheat however never had the chance to get a plot of it in, its an great attractant for game and is excellent as a green manure crop. Plant it in the spring and then plow it under come fall, then you can put in a brassica/clover or wheat for a fall/winter plot.