Beginner Muzzleloader Question

Elmo

Cleaning isn't bad if you stand the gun in the corner, loosen the breach plug, squirt some FOAMING mz cleaner down the barrel and leave it sit for an hr so it soaks down the barrel and cleans the breach plug. From there it's pretty simple and takes no time.

Just put a rag under the breach end or you'll stain your floor!

Edited by Localqdm
  • Like 1

Went back to the range with the new scope on top. It's a Simmons 4X scope I paid $40 at Gander.

Took 3 shots at 50 yards to make sure I'm on paper first. Then I began sighting it in at 100 yards.

1st shot at 100 yards was 3" low and 3/4" to the right. Adjusted scope and 2nd shot 1" high and 1/2" inch to the right. Some more minor adjusting on the scope and 3rd shot was 1/3" low and 1/2" to the left. Took a final shot at the top left quadrant to confirm my zero and I good on windage but 1" low.

Considering that I'm shooting with a 4X scope where the crosshairs pretty much is almost an inch thick at 100 yards, I can't be happier with this gun. Also considering that I'm already 7 shots into the day while running a wet patch through it twice after every two shots. I also forgot to bring dry patches. After I run the wet patches through it, I realized there might be some excess moisture in the barrel which might affect the shot.

Next shot was a shot a friend of mine took because he wanted to feel the recoil of the muzzleloader. He shot at the top right quadrant. I then took a shot at 50 yards just to see where it'll hit with the scope zeroed at 100 yards. That shot was on the bottom right corner. Again, good windage, shot was 1 and 1/2" high.

I have complete confidence in taking a shot on a deer's boiler room at 100 yards with this gun. I am sure it's going to be even more accurate when the gun is clean. I couldn't have been any happier with this gun. For the price I paid ($220 with tax for gun and mount and $40 for scope), this was one of my better purchases.

Stick your ramrod down the barrel and mark it for empty. Load it with a round ball and mark it again. Load it with a conical and mark it again. You never want to double-load or guess whether its got a charge in it. I read the Fedela book too, great idea. To handle the caps get a capper, brass tool yoou load with caps.

• Like 1