Syracuse Gun Show

So headed out to the gun show this morning with a plan to buy a takedown 22 rifle that would fit in the compartment under my scooter's seat. The Henry AR7 and Ruger's takedown 10/22 were two serious contenders. Well come to find out I can no longer buy an autoloading rifle without an amendment on my handgun permit, a new law passed under my radar last September, I did not know about this horse's ass law.

I was just in the permit office last week and had I known I would have had that amendment added for a fee of course. And I guess if one does not have a permit they are shit out of luck for and any autoloading rifle purchase.

This state sucks more and more, every time you turn around more dumb ass laws.:fuckyou:

Al

• Like 2

That law went into effect way back in September of 2022 and was discussed here a lot. The ammo background check is part of that bill but it took them a year to get a system up to do the checks. If you don't have a pistol permit you need to get a permit for the semi auto rifles.

9 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

You mean to tell me you need to have a pistol permit to buy a semi auto rifle?

That is right, as far as shotguns I think they get a pass for now at least, I will be going to my permit office to get the amendment this week and will buy one of the rifles mentioned above, Hochul would love for me to quit and say the Hell with it but it aint going to happen.

Al

6 hours ago, airedale said:

That is right, as far as shotguns I think they get a pass for now at least, I will be going to my permit office to get the amendment this week and will buy one of the rifles mentioned above, Hochul would love for me to quit and say the Hell with it but it aint going to happen.

Al

I’m not 100% sure but I think you need to go same route as a pistol. Buy said rifle, take paper work with serial number to sheriffs office and have serial number, make & model added to permit. Then can take possession of rifle. Bass Pro & Cabela’s are not even selling rifles at there stores in NY because of this law

It's hard to keep up that's for sure! I put the semi auto rifle endorsement on my pistol permit the last time I was in the office just in case I ever want to make a purchase. 

I believe if you do not have a pistol permit you have to go through the same insane process for a semi auto rifle license. Class, Fingers prints background checks etc. 

Visited the permit office this morning and had my permit amended so I can purchase semi auto rifles.

That will be $25.00 and as for now, never have to go back for any rifle purchases. 

Al

• Like 1

21 hours ago, airedale said:

Visited the permit office this morning and had my permit amended so I can purchase semi auto rifles.

That will be $25.00 and as for now, never have to go back for any rifle purchases. 

Al

Al  , me looking at all this from a NH point of view ,  they are flinging all this bullcrap at law abiding citizens in NYS is strictly all about the money ! All these worthless fees are filling some politicians pockets !  Why do you need a pistol permit in order  to buy a rifle ? They are nothing alike . Nobody has ever asked me for my pistol permit when I buy a semi auto rifle or any rifle . Sounds like the politicians just creating another roadblock . 

• Like 1