are rifle to get my son for small game?Affordable?

I know nothing at all about air rifles.But i want to get my boy one for small game hunting next yr.then i can get him more interested in pre season scouting.

I was checking the ones at walmart and they had the gamo one for 150$ i think.It shoots 1200fps so it says.One shot 1000fps and could shoot the 22 cal pellets.

What is the perefered setup?900 fps?or 1200fps?

Is the 22 cal pellet guns legal in NY?

I wan't it to be an affordable set up.don't want to spend more than i would on a real gun but want the safeness over a rimfire 22 cal rifle.I know pellet guns are dangerous.I just like the distance factor.He can shoot a red squrille in a tree and not be worried about the bullet going too far like a 22 cal rife can carry.

Edited by arrow nocker

i must have dreamt shooting it then. damn i gotta stop doing that.. after 10 shots i had a 5 inch grouping.. with the exception of one shot the was high right about a foot.. early as long as its sighted properly then you should have no problem hitting a target at even 100 yards

How big is the boy? Is .22 absolutely necessary? Many of the Gamos available in .22 also come in .177 and have significantly less cocking effort.

As far as legality: an air rifle of .17 caliber or larger which expels a projectile by means of compressed air and exceeds 600fps muzzle velocity shall be considered a gun and is legal to take any game which is legal to take with a rimfire rifle. A .177 is more than enough to knock a squirrel or a cottontail on it's ass at 20 yds.

Edited by Felonious_Monk

OK...I'll take your word for it, but...would it hit hard enough to kill anything at 75 or 100 yards. You are the first person I ever heard suggest that a pellet gun is a 75 yard hunting gun.

I know the .25's and up certainly. Also, there are definitely .22 air rifles that can exceed 75 yards. PCP's are quite capable of hitting 75 yards with ease. My 20 gauge air shotgun, which I had custom built, was quite capable of 75 yards with a 396 grain dangerous game slug. I actually took a tom with it years ago-in a state where it was legal, of course. This is a pic of me with the tom, and my 20 gauge air shotgun.

post-1247-0-63014400-1353719542_thumb.jp

I know the .25's and up certainly. Also, there are definitely .22 air rifles that can exceed 75 yards. PCP's are quite capable of hitting 75 yards with ease. My 20 gauge air shotgun, which I had custom built, was quite capable of 75 yards with a 396 grain dangerous game slug. I actually took a tom with it years ago-in a state where it was legal, of course. This is a pic of me with the tom, and my 20 gauge air shotgun.

PCP for the win

Most hunter capable break barrels are 30 lb cocking effort, so your son will have no problem there.

Between .177 and .22 in most break barrels, you are pushing the same power plant, just a matter of a larger wound channel or a flatter trajectory.

I have .177 and .25 cal airguns, and they are both accurate to dime size groups at 25 yards and the .25 is dime sized out to 50. I have 3" groupings at 100 yards currently with the .25.

At 76 yards, I've punctured the skull of a big game animal with the .25. It's a very capable weapon.