Montezuma Refuge 8F - Any luck?

madpat

Hello,

I have never hunted this public land and was wondering if anybody has any thoughts or tips for it. I still have my buck tag and 2 DMPs for this zone and with not much time left I would like to fill at least one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :D

I thought about giving it a try this fall myself. I think they have additional regs that they go by. Might want to give them a call ahead of time and ask. I read somewhere last year that they require you to wear XXXX amount of "solid" blaze orange. Blaze orange camo won't do?

I called the office and was told there is a daily registration box with a form you would fill out and put part A in when you enter and part B when you leave. I guess this is their way of keeping track of what goes in and out of this joint.

Also, I read that a new bridge was completed on the Western side of Howland Island that now allows people to park directly on the island.

I guess I should decide what part to try out unless I find a better area in 8F. Hmmmm.

be prepared, as you will be stopped and checked out by any ranger that may see you. I had one guy sit by my truck waiting for me to come out of the woods. I will never go there again, always felt like I was being watched by the rangers. Creepy place.