Shooting outside of hunting season

Some allow it and some don't. Some allow you to use birds and train dogs, but some don't. Technically you're not supposed to harm a bird in training on state land...even the chukar's you buy. I suggest you come to NAVHDA training days up at Stewart instead, where you can actually have birds shot over your dog. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Some allow it and some don't. Some allow you to use birds and train dogs, but some don't. Technically you're not supposed to harm a bird in training on state land...even the chukar's you buy. I suggest you come to NAVHDA training days up at Stewart instead, where you can actually have birds shot over your dog. 

I train with a club too and I believe permits are obtained for that. I’d like to do some extra work on my own, that’s why I was wondering about the firearms regulations. 

4 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I train with a club too and I believe permits are obtained for that. I’d like to do some extra work on my own, that’s why I was wondering about the firearms regulations. 

Yes you need a TRP and propagated game license to train like that on state ground. Your best bet is to call the DEC or forest rangers to for specific pieces of land. Generally there isnt any "target shooting" allowed on most of the state land near the city, but you may get away with using poppers and blanks. 

Edited by ATbuckhunter
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Right. They are often there. A good 10 years back or so,I had a Turkey Hunt ruined " again" when a convey of Trucks stopped in front of my Field and Black Labs jumped on out.

The Gobbler that was making slow progress to me broke all Sprinting  Speed Records .

Wrote the DEC and long story short- all Dog Training at Stewart State Forest was suspended on all future-- May 1st of each Spring to give space to Turkey Hunters on their opening day.

That sucks. Generally we are at spot 25 training, but sometimes were down by beaver pond and sticks pond