Jump to content

Shooting outside of hunting season


Recommended Posts

Some allow it and some don't. Some allow you to use birds and train dogs, but some don't. Technically you're not supposed to harm a bird in training on state land...even the chukar's you buy. I suggest you come to NAVHDA training days up at Stewart instead, where you can actually have birds shot over your dog. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Some allow it and some don't. Some allow you to use birds and train dogs, but some don't. Technically you're not supposed to harm a bird in training on state land...even the chukar's you buy. I suggest you come to NAVHDA training days up at Stewart instead, where you can actually have birds shot over your dog. 

I train with a club too and I believe permits are obtained for that. I’d like to do some extra work on my own, that’s why I was wondering about the firearms regulations. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

I train with a club too and I believe permits are obtained for that. I’d like to do some extra work on my own, that’s why I was wondering about the firearms regulations. 

Yes you need a TRP and propagated game license to train like that on state ground. Your best bet is to call the DEC or forest rangers to for specific pieces of land. Generally there isnt any "target shooting" allowed on most of the state land near the city, but you may get away with using poppers and blanks. 

Edited by ATbuckhunter
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Some allow it and some don't. Some allow you to use birds and train dogs, but some don't. Technically you're not supposed to harm a bird in training on state land...even the chukar's you buy. I suggest you come to NAVHDA training days up at Stewart instead, where you can actually have birds shot over your dog. 

Right. They are often there. A good 10 years back or so,I had a Turkey Hunt ruined " again" when a convey of Trucks stopped in front of my Field and Black Labs jumped on out.

 The Gobbler that was making slow progress to me broke all Sprinting  Speed Records .

 Wrote the DEC and long story short- all Dog Training at Stewart State Forest was suspended on all future-- May 1st of each Spring to give space to Turkey Hunters on their opening day.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Right. They are often there. A good 10 years back or so,I had a Turkey Hunt ruined " again" when a convey of Trucks stopped in front of my Field and Black Labs jumped on out.

 The Gobbler that was making slow progress to me broke all Sprinting  Speed Records .

 Wrote the DEC and long story short- all Dog Training at Stewart State Forest was suspended on all future-- May 1st of each Spring to give space to Turkey Hunters on their opening day.

 

That sucks. Generally we are at spot 25 training, but sometimes were down by beaver pond and sticks pond

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

That sucks. Generally we are at spot 25 training, but sometimes were down by beaver pond and sticks pond

We are talking 2009 + 2010.  Back then nothing was posted up on the major 4 Kiosks as to who would be shooting or where. And back then the Dog Training was done in more areas at Stewart .

  I have been to the Beaver Pond to watch the Dog Training before the area became State Land in 1999.

   Back then you needed either a Hiking- Biking or combo Permit to access the then Stewart Cooperative Area. 

   The Guy in charge of the dog Training actually  kicked me out of the area as,I watched with everyone.  Showed him my Special  Biking/ Hiking Permit.   Told me he didn't  care. I left.

  The DEC Cared though when,I wrote in with the Date + area . The guy was put on notice.

   Having May 1st as a day without any Dog Training is only fair. Glad,I wrote in back in 2010.

   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...