Hunten GSC35-50IR Black Flash Review

phade

So, story goes...I need a cheap, reliable black flash (BF) cam for an area I had in mind that could be open to theft. I'm not sinking $175+ into it for a Covert or Bushnell BF.

I came across this cam in a deal and it certainly met the needs. Limitations right off the bat were limited extended illumination range at night. If you shop around, you can get this cam for less than $100. I got a smoking deal, so that helped me go that route. It retails over 100 in some places. Takes 4 C batteries and has an opening for external battery.

5 MP day and 1.3 MP night. Up to a four shot burst or video. Down to a 10 second delay minimum.

I'll post pics this weekend after hanging it for a while.

Pros

Setup is easy - shares platform with WGI cams

Cheap - for a Black Flash cam, it's cheap

Sensor - This is an over-achieving sensor. It is crazy good - could easily put it up there with any cam.

Day pics are acceptable

Middle of the Road

Size/shape. Not bad, but not super small. Small given cams in its category/price range (cheap BF), but not small like I prefer (SG550, 370, M80s, MP6, etc.)

Filter clunk on transition - only happens when filter moves from day to night operation and vice versa. Can hear it from about 5-10 feet away. most cams have this issue in this price range, but some have it all the time. So, it's gets a "middle of the road" ranking on that aspect.

Black Flash - It's marketed as such, but I'd warn that it is not true blackflash when compared to a Black 60 or Bushnell BF model. You can see a VERY faint glow from about 5 feet away in complete darkness - I locked myself in the bathroom to test it, ha. I doubt being outside that it'd be noticeable. Still, much less flash than any IR blob.

Cons

Night flash range - really 20-30 feet is max. Not a cam you want to set in a open field edge unless deer hug the edge. Would work for corners of fields where you can bounce flash off the cornering woods. Still, I find it acceptable for a $100 and under cam.

Accessory lights - Duh...BF cams are supposed to be less visible. But, it has two lights, one for movement detection and another for battery/countdown. Close them up, it doesn't impact the cam's operation.

C Batteries. I hate anything other than AA cams nowadays. Battery life is supposed to be great for C batteries and a cam of this cost category.

Strap attachment...I hate them. I love tripod mount adapters for theft avoidance (hanging up high) and because you can aim them easier. No tripod mount on this cam.

Overall

Reliability seems to be high for the price on this model. I find that interesting as the WGI cams are anything but reliable on a much larger scale. I plan to put this thing immediately out in the elements on a set of C alkalines and letting it run, come hell, high water, or cold temps and snow. If it goes broke, then I'll warranty it and sell. But, so far, I seem to like the cam for its cost. I'd recommend it thus far based on price/performance for a black flash cam in an area where you don't want to strap several hundred dollar bills to a tree.

I do think this cam is going to be GREAT for turkey season on a field...that sensor is accurate and reachs out far. It'll tell you what you need to know on a field. My plan is to use it for that and then also set it up for deer movement on a field corner in an area where I don't want the flash being seen by human or animal.

post-575-0-62920600-1359726334.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the cam from behind the house. I was skeptical on the soak because I inadvertently bought zinc chloride batteries instead of alkalines. But, the thing was chugging away with pics when I got there.

I can say three things for sure after the soak:

Pros:

Great daytime pic quality for its MP and price.

The sensor flat out rocks. I mean, it's possibly the best sensor I have ever seen, honestly.

Cons:

Nighttime pics stink unless you are within 20 feet. It's not a cam that's going to give enough detail beyond that due to the MP night shots and the poor illumination reach.

Initially, I though the poor battery choice should be considered, but the pics mimic what others have on other forums.

I think this cam is a good buy for a close-range deer trail if you are looking for cheap black flash (more like very low glow). Good for feeders up close, too, should it be legal in your area. Will be very good for turkey - this cam flat out doesn't miss a trigger and will pic up 60-70 feet.

post-575-0-96115100-1360537967_thumb.jpg

post-575-0-34234700-1360537992_thumb.jpg

post-575-0-25443200-1360538006_thumb.jpg

post-575-0-64341800-1360538020_thumb.jpg

• Like 1