Upstate Property Taxes (PART 2)

5.9cummins

I figured i would start a new thread for this. If your really want to be able to compare tax data check out this site. Just pick your state and county from the drop down list.

I just checked and if you look at the % of tax's per home value upstate has got down state beat by a long shot in terms of how much they are paying based on what a home is worth.

This is not intended to be a "you get more upstate for your money" argument. After all beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just because its worth more to you does not mean its worth more to me. Apples to Apples - taxes paid vs property value.

http://interactive.taxfoundation.org/propertytax/

Funny thing is i compared my county tax rate with the PA county 10 miles to the south and the ranking isn't all that far apart, a couple hundred counties apart in the national ranking out of 1800 counties. That being said i know taxes are less than half in PA, gives you a good idea about how much of a "curve" NY taxes on.

I figured i would start a new thread for this. If your really want to be able to compare tax data check out this site. Just pick your state and county from the drop down list.

I just checked and if you look at the % of tax's per home value upstate has got down state beat by a long shot in terms of how much they are paying based on what a home is worth.

This is not intended to be a "you get more upstate for your money" argument. After all beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just because its worth more to you does not mean its worth more to me. Apples to Apples - taxes paid vs property value.

http://interactive.t...rg/propertytax/

Funny thing is i compared my county tax rate with the PA county 10 miles to the south and the ranking isn't all that far apart, a couple hundred counties apart in the national ranking out of 1800 counties. That being said i know taxes are less than half in PA, gives you a good idea about how much of a "curve" NY taxes on.

this data is not accurate, the value of lower NY state/LI NY has dropped significantly more than other areas of the state. You can now once again buy houses in many Nassau, Suffolk locations for under the 300k mark, these are the same homes people were unloading for 600, 700K a few years ago.

And to me wether im paying more or less in taxes has more to do with if im happy where i am, and i can honestly say i love upstate NY nad wouldnt leave it for anyplace. I was born and lived all across Long Island (Queens to east Hampton)and moved and the family up here 10 years ago, best move i ever made and would never consider going back, i hate to even go down for a weekend to visit family anymore. I would pay double the taxes to live upstate...

this data is not accurate, the value of lower NY state/LI NY has dropped significantly more than other areas of the state. You can now once again buy houses in many Nassau, Suffolk locations for under the 300k mark, these are the same homes people were unloading for 600, 700K a few years ago.

And to me wether im paying more or less in taxes has more to do with if im happy where i am, and i can honestly say i love upstate NY nad wouldnt leave it for anyplace. I was born and lived all across Long Island (Queens to east Hampton)and moved and the family up here 10 years ago, best move i ever made and would never consider going back, i hate to even go down for a weekend to visit family anymore. I would pay double the taxes to live upstate...

That's very true, I bought on L.I. in 1999 for about 120g's, the value skyrocketed to almost 400g's and now it's back down to 220g's......I would never have paid 400g's for what I have, and now many people owe more on their houses then they are worth down here. I have family who bought in Rochester 20 years ago and their house's are worth pretty much now as they were then.........

Do you know anything about LI? Houses that were 6-700k at the peak of the market are no where near 300k or under! What is your major deal with Long island anyway?? Try houses that were 375ish maybe 400k are close to 300k or under. I have no idea where you get your numbers from, I don't.... The houses for around 250k are few n far between in Nassau first off, secondly that price range in Suffolk will boast you a gargabe house with a ton of work needed high taxes for what it is and those houses years ago were nowhere near 600k. Houses in nice areas that were around 300k before the boom hit were going for 500k at peak of the market. Those were VeRY unrealistic prices and that bit the banks hard. My wife is a real estate agent...