CNY duck hunting

Hunterny28

Im looking to get back into duck hunting- I have not done this in about 10 years or so. My grandfather used to take me to his buddys farm with a nice little area of water. My trouble is coming up with decent areas for duck hunting. I have a canoe and pretty basic pop up blind that I can blend in. do any of you know some good public areas to get in some duck hunting. Preferably closer to the east of central ny.

I do acess to land with a creek/river on it- i am not sure if this would be big enough to attract and hold some mallards.

do you guys have any simple approaches to making the hunt simple and sucessful.

When I went 10 years ago it was in a nice area with a kick butt blind- which I no longer have.

thanks

I haven't hunted ducks in years either & I would usually hunt private land. But the two best public areas I hunted were the Cicero swamp, off of Rt. 298, and the Three Rivers management area in Baldwinsville. A real kick a$$ spot in Baldwinsville was on Dinglehole Rd. Its been so long that im  not sure what the water situation looks like but they are worth a look. Google them.

thanks for your input. I am actually close to cicero swamp and never even though of it. What technigue do you guys recommend? I have never been to cicero swamp before. like i said I have a canoe and a really old pop put blind. I have some of my grandfathers old decoys and want to get back into it. cant wait to shoot some ducks again.

thanks

If its just you and you have waders, I might ditch the canoe.  IDK if it would cause them to flare too much, but I think hiding just yourself is easier.  Otherwise, without looking at the land, I would watch where birds just naturally funnel in and out of the area.  More than anything, get to a range and do some skeet, trap and sporting clays.  You will need the practice and owe it to the birds to be proficient in your weapon. And start on your calling.

I am already working on calling and clays.. think im driving my wife nuts with the calls.. o well! I actaully met up with a friends father at a get together and he plans to have me tag along to get some refreshing under my belt. He tells me he would rather duck hunt than deer hunt- persoanlly my self I dont see that happening to me.

Do any of you guys have tips or pointers you want to share?

every try any dry land hunting? I am not sure how it would work here in NY.

In order to hunt Montezuma you have to have a Waterfowl identification course, You can use a boat but have to be there at a certain time and you can only carry 15 shells with you, They welcome dogs and there is normally a lot of people hunting in the few places that they allow, Either the lake or private property is your best bet, I picked up waterfowl hunting last year and have just found a few sweet spots to hunt but its taken time and a lot of internet and door knocking to obtain permission, Good Luck to you in your search,