Interesting and fun morning.

TheTruth2

This morning I had two big mature toms gobble probably over 300 times. They gobbled at everything.. My calls. Woodpecker.. Geese.. Crows. I heard them first gobble at 6:45. I setup on them multiple times. This went on until 9:30,still,gobbling like crazy. The closest I got was sixty yards and they hung up for an hour and would not come in. What do you guys recommend in situations like that? When two birds are super fired up but just won't really come into the calls

If possible slowly get up an walk away calling. Makes em think the hen is going the other way. Its worked for me in the past. Either that or switch to soft calling or get quiet altogether. Both have worked for me as well.

Edited by TeeBugg
  • Like 2

If a gobbler seems to hang up, I usually go quiet... Resist the urge to call..the more they gobble, the better chance they will come looking..

However. are you sure they did not have hens ? Gobblers are SERIOUSLY henned up in most areas now..If they have hens. you are probably not going to call them in, unless you get lucky and bring the hens in..Then it is a tough game avoiding having the hens bust you before the gobblers get in range..

Also, gobblers that have been shot at in the past sometimes REFUSE to come close to any turkey calling, even though they may gobble at every call.. Some of those birds WILL NOT come within gun range of a calling source, unless they see a live hen.. They just stand back and gobble and wait for the hen to come to them... Those gobblers are frustrating and hard to kill.

I suspect you hit the nail right on the head, Truth...

Old, smart gobblers who KNOW how the game should be played..Good luck...

They may be tough, but they aren't UNKILLABLE....

Stick with those bad boys...

Edited by Pygmy

Maybe try some super soft purring ? If you hear hens, how about imitating the calls the hens are making ? If you piss off the boss hen , sometimes she will come to your call followed by a gobbler. Very frustrating to say the least.

Maybe try some super soft purring ? If you hear hens, how about imitating the calls the hens are making ? If you piss off the boss hen , sometimes she will come to your call followed by a gobbler. Very frustrating to say the least.

Thinking along the same lines. Soft purring and low tone calling on a slate. This is also where ive had good luck with a push pull call for light calling

Try to make a big wide  half circle in one direction or the other. (If you can do it with out getting busted)  Set up and call with a different call than you were using. This has worked for me in the past so has the walking away hen ploy, that TeeBugg mentioned.