raccoon

Paula

There has been one out in field for a while now, when i use spot light at night its in field. last 2wks it has been out during day and is out right now. It has even been eating or digging like 2ft away from a wood chuck. Is this normal or could she have babies and just eats when ever?

Coons are mostly nocturnal, but it is not rare to see them out and about during the day..

I would give old ringtail the benefit of the doubt unless it shows some real aggressive or  unusual behavior...

If the animal seems to be feeding, it's probably healthy..

Perhaps it's just ECCENTRIC, like some of the members of this forum, myself included..<<grin>>..

• Like 1

if the coon looks drunk during the daytime. wobbles stumbles, aggressive then it is more than likely rabid. I had one in my back yard last year stumbling around. it then curled up in a ball and looked like it went to sleep  I took a long handled spade shovel and poked it. the coon got up and bit the shovel.was very clear it was rabid. I left it alone and an hour later it was dead. so I put it in a plastic bag and tail piped him just in case. for those who dont know what tail piping is. I taped the opening of the plastic bag to the tail pipe of my truck and left it running for 10 minutes. I would had hit it over the head but I didnt want to chance getting rabid coon blood on my lawn and have the dog lick it up....